Camper or Shed for our next coop?

Be careful if you use any roosts at all, they are so fragile after those first three weeks or so. We much prefer the Freedom Rangers, who can run around like 'real chickens', but take more time and feed to get to the freezer.
Our last Cornishx birds did much better, with feed available only 10 hours daily, and no roosts. Restricting feed after those first few weeks did have them take a little longer to get big, but more survived, and no severe problems. It was a very small group thought. If we raise them this year we will do the same thing. Unrestricted food wasn't a good idea.
Mary

Be careful if you use any roosts at all, they are so fragile after those first three weeks or so. We much prefer the Freedom Rangers, who can run around like 'real chickens', but take more time and feed to get to the freezer.
Our last Cornishx birds did much better, with feed available only 10 hours daily, and no roosts. Restricting feed after those first few weeks did have them take a little longer to get big, but more survived, and no severe problems. It was a very small group thought. If we raise them this year we will do the same thing. Unrestricted food wasn't a good idea.
Mary

Thanks for your help! We chose CornishX this year because of a time constraint. I hope you don’t mind, I’m gong to message you with a few questions so I’m not totally hijacking this thread!

Hi friends! I’m looking for some guidance and help with our next coop!! We live in southwest Michigan - our summers can get in the 90°+F and our winters can get below 0°F.

We have the option for our next coop to be either a typical coop built with lumber (like a shed) OR to repurpose a camper trailer (for a really good price)! But I don’t which would be easier/better.

For the shed option, I’m pretty good with building, and have plenty of friends/family to help. I’ve got the plans ready and have many of the supplies ready (or easily attainable). Plus I’ve got these big beautiful windows that I’ve been saving for this! For the most part, we’d probably only need to buy some of the 2x4s and then plywood for floors. I know this will probably still cost a good amount, but I love that I can fully customize it and make the shed very easily flow into the attached run.

But now we have an older camper we could use, and I’ve heard good things about them. But we would need to add more windows for light/ventilation and we’d need to add vents on the roof. With the camper being so short inside, I’m worried about roof vents, especially in the winter time - since the roof has no overhang. And I’ve heard something about condensation in a camper? The camper is in good condition - I’m just not sure how to add more windows and vents.

Any thoughts on this? Anything I should know that I don’t know? I just keep going back and forth and I’m not sure which option to do.

Thanks!
We bought a shed and turned it into a coop. It worked well.

Biggest bonus to a camper - it is on wheels can be moved. People who like to move the coop and pen around like this bc they can move it every x days to fresh area/grass/shade.

best thing about a build: customization and size. You should put the coop where there is some shade if possible for the summer heat.
Put the coop on wheels like I did and you have both problems solved. Moveable and custom build.

Back
Top Bottom