Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
the hen in the front does seem to have a more folded tail. but the middle one seems to be darker and better in colour.
does anyone have campines with the white markings forming nice parallel rings around?

the hen in the front does seem to have a more folded tail. but the middle one seems to be darker and better in colour.
does anyone have campines with the white markings forming nice parallel rings around?

Dries, I know that is the goal, but you will not find any like that outside of paintings. I have not even seen any in photo's from back in the 1900's when the Campines were in their peak of popularity and perfection. I have seen pics of Aussie Campines that were close, much closer than here in the US. I will work toward that end in mine, but it will take a very, very, long time.

Dries, I know that is the goal, but you will not find any like that outside of paintings. I have not even seen any in photo's from back in the 1900's when the Campines were in their peak of popularity and perfection. I have seen pics of Aussie Campines that were close, much closer than here in the US. I will work toward that end in mine, but it will take a very, very, long time.

I agree. Here's some pics of the backs of my Campines. The youngest one is a cockerel and is the darkest with very narrow and accurate white lining. The lining doesn't seem to form parallel rings, but he's still young.

The second one is a hen of early this year. Her pencilling isn't clean, with lots of grey in the white and white ticks in the black. No rings on here.

The third one is a hen from 2013 with better pencilling althought the white bands aren't straight but form tiny V's in the middle. With some imagination you could see some rings here and there
tongue.png

agreed, i have yet to see any that are particularly close. i'll have to try to get some photos of my flock this weekend, for comparison!

here some of the (danish) Campines I brought over. still pullets.
I think they are better than many I have seen on the internet so far.
mostly black, little white, clear barring, lower tail angle and with parallel lining!
any points?

ps: I made the mistake of selling these when they were week olds :(

Oh, Dies, I'd pay good money foe some of those, if they were here. I can't imagine why you sold them! Can you get more from that source? I think you would do well to try.

I was looking at the pics you posted of the barring on some of yours on 9/3/14. Is the 'v' in the center barring or is it white shafting on the feathers? In the US, shafting is a deduction, but not a disqualification. I have culled several this year for too much shafting. I am not where I want to be on type, yet, and therefore can't disregard good type with some shafting. I will, eventually, though. I want to get to the point where I can cull for just color and pattern because that will mean that I have gotten my type down and set! I hatched lots and lots of chicks this past spring, and I have one, yes, ONE pullet that I am happy with. I have several others that may get used for next spring, but they don't make me smile when I look at them.

Last edited:
Tallie, She looks like a Gold Campine cockerel, to me.

Here is a pullet that I was considering this afternoon. I think I am starting to see some rings starting to form. What do you think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom