Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
You can get chicks from a couple of hatcheries, but often they say they offer them but are "sold out." Keep in mind that these birds will be hatchery quality. The ones I got from the feed store, that came from a hatchery, had green legs, red eyes, and muddy barring. If you want them for the backyard, those would be fine. If you want to raise them to standard, you could start there and work them up. That would take some time, but would be fun.

I doubt there are 12 decent Campines, much less STANDARD Campines, for sale by a single source anywhere in the US. I have a total of thirty Campines at this time and only about 12 of those will be considered when I make my final cull down to 8 for breeders. I would not sell any of those birds, unless someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
wink.png
They represent thousands of miles in traveling to get birds, hotel rooms, construction of a breeder barn, and three years of research, correspondence, and raising birds. I am just now getting to where I feel that I am making some progress. These 12 birds are worth more to me than anyone else would be willing to pay. I am not even selling culls because when I start distributing birds to people who really want them, I want those to be good quality. I am a few years from wanting to turn loose of my line, but I would love to trade some of mine with someone else that is working to bring them up to standard.

some of my golden campines have green legs and some have gray-blue legs,i would like to show u a pic of them everytime i want to post a pic it says i dont have permission

Swamper - If you are going to breed them, use the ones with the leaden blue legs and the darkest eyes. Their eyes should be nearly black, or really dark brown, not red or gold.

Love - I am glad to hear that you prefer the standard birds, I was merely warning you that good ones are hard to find. If you are seriously looking, I can help you. I have located, or corresponded with the majority of people that have them. There is a breeder in California, Texas, Minnesota, Massachusetts, and North Carolina (I think.) I was only interested in the silver variety, but the goldens are less rare, and I think you may not have as much trouble finding those.

Good luck to you both!

no, and I'm guessing you're right. In Platts 'the campines silver & golden' there is a entire chapter on the creation of the golden campine through crosses with the silver. see page 59 to 62. But no mentioning of impure silver or anything like that.
see https://archive.org/stream/cu31924003118621#page/n67/mode/2up

can you pm me the info for the California breeder he/she will be closer to me since I'm in California too.
thanks

Last edited:
hello all, and happy new year! my life got crazily busy this fall and I've not been on the BYC site since October, but i did take a couple of photos of my silver campines (7 all together) recently, and so thought i'd share here:

they are all (six girls plus Fred) doing great, and have been my most dependable layers through the winter months so far!

Greetings, and I've got a couple of questions. I'm in Michigan, where it gets pretty cold sometimes, and have a mixed flock of chickens, but have never had Campines. Suddenly they look really interesting! I sometimes order from MMcM, but also like to have birds that resemble their breed standard, and might lay a reasonable number of eggs. Are they cold hardy, or will they have issues with combs in winter? Mary

this is my first year raising Gold Brakel's. .. close relative to the Campine but the rooster are not hen feathered.. They are very cold hearty little birds and go out in below freezing weather most days. No frostbite on the roosters or hens. Great little birds.

Back
Top Bottom