Camping recipes??

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
We're going camping! Ten days, Lewes DE and Chincotaegue. I am trying to keep the budget reasonable and the work minimal. I am making meals ahead that can be cooked on the campfire or grill.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I learn SO much from the people here!

Thanks!

pancakes! just add water! filling and cheap!

bisquick made like for biscuits and with a little sugar added...spread onto a sheet of tin foil. top with cinnamon and sugar. fold tin foil in half and seal by rolling all edges. lay in coals and flip back and forth for 20 mins or so. (depends on coals)
makes a yummy dessert or breakfast treat. you can put pie filling or anything in.

My FAVORITE way to cook when camping is with a dutch oven. Do you have an possibility of getting one - either buy or borrow - before your trip? (If you do get one, be sure to season/cure it really well before going.)

If you are able to get one, I have a number of recipes I could share with you - all of which I prep before we go so it's really simple at the camp site.

This one is fun, the kids used to do this at home.

Scrambled Egg Baggies

2-3 Eggs per person
grated cheese
diced onion
bell pepper
salt
pepper
Salsa

Equipment Needed:
FREEZER grade small baggie per person
permanent marker such as a sharpie
Large pot with hot (not boiling) water

Each person needs to put their name on a baggie with the sharpie.

Break eggs into baggie and add what ever else you like in scrambled eggs.

Seal baggie and have each person "massage" the eggs with their fingers so that the mixture resembles what you would normally scramble in a pan.

Place the baggies in the hot water for about 4-5 minutes. The length of time depends on how many bags are in the water and how hot the water is.

After the eggs are done you can either eat out of the baggie or put the eggs on a plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We always do Sloppy Joes on camping trips. Everything goes in one pot on the campfire and then you just spoon it onto your bun and chow down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another thing we enjoy is shish kabobs. Have the beef and veggies cut up ahead of time and then everyone builds and cooks their own.

Last edited:
One of our favorite campfire recipes is ...

Individual Veggie packets
on a double thickness of tin foil place
1 potaoto sliced thin
1/2 shredded carrot
1/4 thinly sliced onion
2 fairly large pats of butter
2-3 ice cubes
seasonings you like

Seal in the foil to make a packet. Put on hot coals flip occasionally. It will take about 20 minutes or so depending on how large the packet is.

My family really likes these. We make them over the grill at home too!

Nuggetsowner, we do the same except add either chicken breasts or a hamburger patty and cook it for about 30-40 minutes.

Can anyone say Yum!!
lol.png

Suburban girl I DO have a dutch oven! A cast iron beauty I use in my fireplace. I made some pre=mixed recipes at home and froze them hoping they'd keep longer while camping and then I could drop them in the pot. But, I'd love more recipes for it.

We have a wood burning masonry heater at home with an oven built in. It works with anything, but the dutch oven woks as a great crockpot!!

Y'know Miss Jayne it never occurred to me to do pancakes! See, ya learn something new here everyday! I bring Bisquick to make drop biscuits, now why didn't pancakes occur to me??
hu.gif

I put eggs in baggies already, but y'know I didn't check to be sure they were freezer grade.... will they melt otherwise??

Keep em coming ladies you guys are terrific!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

IT doesnt matter.
Just cook on an open fire, drop whatever you are cooking in the ashes, wipe them off and eat it. It aint camping if you dont.

Back
Top Bottom