Can’t have chickens in Pittsburgh PLEASE HELP

May 21, 2021
Hello, I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I own a property of 1 acre and I own 20 chickens and 4 ducks. Today an office from Ohio Township can to my door and told me I could no longer have chickens. He said I needed at least 3 acres of land, but before I got my chickens I checked and it said I only need 1 acre. I have one rooster as well. We have just moved to a new house therefore we are still working on getting a fence up. All of our neighbors enjoy our chickens and their eggs. Please spread word to see if I can do anything about it. I only have one month, and then I have to get “rid” of them. PLEASE anything you can do helps. I am looking for my laws trying to find anything that is in my favor. If you have some spare time please help me in search of anything that could help. These chickens are the lives of my life. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Alrighty, we'll try. :] First, you need to calm down because we need more info and panicking won't help. I know it's tough.
What is your area zoned for? Do you live in an hoa? What type of neighborhood?

Alrighty, we'll try. :] First, you need to calm down because we need more info and panicking won't help. I know it's tough.
What is your area zoned for? Do you live in an hoa? What type of neighborhood?
Our zoned area is R1. The second link is where we looked to get the information. We also called the number proved on this page. They said we could have chickens.

For the short-term, check with your local township office to see if you can apply for a variance from the ordinance. You'll likely need to go before your local zoning board or planning commission at their next meeting. Here in Michigan, usually your neighbors will be notified if you take this route, try to make sure that they're on board.

For a long-term solution, you can push to have your local ordinances changed to loosen these restrictions. I have done so successfully my own township and have some tips I can share if you are interested in that route.

Did you save a copy of the ordinance that said you only needed 1 acre?

Does the ordinance online now indicate the 3 acres is a new change?
Link title hints at it, but I didn't read it.

If it's a new change maybe you could cry grandfathering into play.

Did you save a copy of the ordinance that said you only needed 1 acre?

Does the ordinance online now indicate the 3 acres is a new change?
Link title hints at it, but I didn't read it.

If it's a new change maybe you could cry grandfathering into play.
It never said you have to have one acre of land to own chickens. It only stated that you need 2,000 sq ft per 5 chickens. Then add 1,000 sq ft per chicken you get after 5. One acre is about 43,000. I subtracted 2,000 of that. And got 41,000. Then I divide 1,000 by that. I could have about 46 chickens on my lot.

For the short-term, check with your local township office to see if you can apply for a variance from the ordinance. You'll likely need to go before your local zoning board or planning commission at their next meeting. Here in Michigan, usually your neighbors will be notified if you take this route, try to make sure that they're on board.

For a long-term solution, you can push to have your local ordinances changed to loosen these restrictions. I have done so successfully my own township and have some tips I can share if you are interested in that route.
I am going to push to change the restrictions. There is no reason we can’t have chickens, other than the fact that they are being unreasonable.

Back
Top Bottom