Can 1 hen lay two eggs on the same day?

Chick-a-dow-dee

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
Either I have one hen laying two eggs or I have two hens laying a eggs in the same spot. I have seen the one hen lay when there are no eggs, when she gets up there are two eggs but I don't have my eye in her all the time so another could be taking her place when the first leaves bit the time frame is very quick. Does anyone know if one hen can lay two eggs at about the same time?

One day, we had 3 regular sized egg, and one baby egg. But we only have 3 chickens! So i guess it's possible hah

My silkie would lay two eggs a day a few times a month and rarely skipped a day. She was the best. I definitely know she did because I only had her and a silkie roo at the time. One of her daughter's would too but not as much, those were the only ones though for me.

Thank you for your responses. Tomorrow I'm keeping all the hens in the coop until everyone is through laying so we'll see how many eggs I end up with...:eek:

We have 12 nesting boxes, out of those twelve my 25+ layers use three or four nest...not surprising when I go out and find 8 eggs in one box
yippiechickie.gif

We have 12 nesting boxes, out of those twelve my 25+ layers use three or four nest...not surprising when I go out and find 8 eggs in one box  :yiipchick

Do you let them free range or are they confined? I've let mine free range pretty much all day and I think some of my hens (I have 4) are laying God knows where. It seems that if I don't let them free range first thing they won't lay at all. Are they playing me for a newbie sucker? :barnie

Do you let them free range or are they confined? I've let mine free range pretty much all day and I think some of my hens (I have 4) are laying God knows where. It seems that if I don't let them free range first thing they won't lay at all. Are they playing me for a newbie sucker?
barnie.gif

Mine free range 1/3 of an acre... I had one hen that wanted to go broody under a pile of brush and dead tree's we had that we were going to burn come fall, but it wasn't the best place for her so I kept taking her eggs and one day she wouldn't move, had DH help me and he finally got her off the one egg and then we destroyed her spot hoping she would instead chose to brood in the coop, she is laying her eggs in the coop but hasn't went back to acting broody.... I have yet to find another hen laying outside.... I do keep fake eggs in some of the nesting boxes tho, I wontder if that helped "show them the way"

Back
Top Bottom