Can a chick be born with Marek's?

grower

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
I hatched some heirloom chicks in an incubator from eggs I gathered in my Barnevelder flock. One of the chicks had a crippled leg from the day it hatched, and I assumed it would die. Much to my surprise, he survived, dragging his leg around behind him. These chicks are now 7 weeks old, and I've been reading up on Marek's Disease and wondering if a chick can have it when it hatches from the egg. Does anybody know?

I hatched some heirloom chicks in an incubator from eggs I gathered in my Barnevelder flock. One of the chicks had a crippled leg from the day it hatched, and I assumed it would die. Much to my surprise, he survived, dragging his leg around behind him. These chicks are now 7 weeks old, and I've been reading up on Marek's Disease and wondering if a chick can have it when it hatches from the egg. Does anybody know?
Can you post some photos?

It's can take up to 3 or more weeks for symptoms of Marek's to be seen. It is not found in the embryo of hatching eggs, rather it's transmitted from bird to bird or through dust/dander/feathers, clothes/shoes, etc. If the chick was hatched with a leg issue - more than likely you are dealing with a leg bone deformity, genetic issue or poor incubation.

Here's some common leg deformities. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers

Hi there welcome to BYC! :frow

Absolutely NOT. A chick cannot be hatched with Marek's as it does not pass to the egg and it takes at LEAST 3 weeks after exposure for symptoms to appear.

A chick hatched with a bum leg is called splayed leg. Some folks will try to fix it. I cull for it as I don't want any "fixed" ones breeding forward in my genetics. I have had some fix and others don't... but I'm serious about my breeding stock.

Here are two links to help with your concerns. The first is the best information I have seen on Marek's which is NOT your issue. The second is how to try and fix splay leg if you get it again it needs to be corrected as soon as possible in order to work if it's going to...
Marek's

https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback! This chick was definitely born with this, because I noticed it dragging the leg when it was a day old. I intend to cull him (he's developing a comb that shows he's a "he"), but I'm waiting for him to get big enough to cycle him into dog food for my dog. You've relieved my mind, though. I did not want to think this one had something the others would catch!

Back
Top Bottom