Can a ducks egg colour change from day to day?

Sierra67

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I have 5 cayuga hens and 4 drakes (I know I know boys will be separated once snow melts enough to put a fence up) the thing im confused about is one of my “drakes” doesn’t seem like a drake, he hatched weird and has messed up feet (they’re a year old now) I swore it was a girl at hatching, and he’s way smaller and lighter than my other drakes very female sized, his quack is weird, almost like it’s forced, and he’s got a few white feathers that only my girls have but he’s also got the curly tail feather.
Anyways back to the eggs, my one hen has just started laying for the first time (my other 4 layed last year) and her eggs are usually this dark grey, but one day we got 6 eggs which doesn’t make sense for 5 hens. But most of the time I’m not finding the grey ones but yesterday my daughter found this really big dark grey one, so I’m wondering if the eggs can change from day to day, or if the “drake” is actually a strange female he also doesn’t get picked on by my older male like the others do
C6CDE758-B0ED-4B14-B88B-AB002E87BE46.jpeg
E9941A36-312E-4CB3-8BC8-4229EE554205.jpeg

Yes eggs can have colour some days
I also have had an extra egg here and there it does happen
New layers and
It can happen again after a winter break when they start up again too
How does the duvk with the foot issues get around ? As normal or struggles ?
He gets around really well. Always has. The only issue he has is scratching his face because his toes don’t reach so I help him clean his eyes. But other than that he’s faster than they others and seems just fine.

Sometimes for first time layers their hormones are a little out of balance so for the first few days you might get wonky eggs, 2 eggs a day, etc. Cayugas do lay dark eggs from time to time, also especially when they are first time layers, there's nothing wrong with the egg. As for the feet that looks like it needs to be checked. @New duck mommy 2021
I have already dealt with the feet when he/she hatched a year ago, and corrected them as much as possible,I’ve already posted about him a couple times. he seems like a perfectly happy healthy bird, keeps up with and is faster than the others.
I have 1 cayuga that is between 2-3 years old and has never layed a dark egg since I’ve had her. The next 3 are her babies, they layed all last year and never had a dark egg. And none this year so far, and the 5th is one of their babies, and she’s only laying this year and is the grey eggs.

I have already dealt with the feet when he/she hatched a year ago, and corrected them as much as possible,I’ve already posted about him a couple times. he seems like a perfectly happy healthy bird, keeps up with and is faster than the others.
I have 1 cayuga that is between 2-3 years old and has never layed a dark egg since I’ve had her. The next 3 are her babies, they layed all last year and never had a dark egg. And none this year so far, and the 5th is one of their babies, and she’s only laying this year and is the grey eggs.
Oh my bad, I must've missed the other posts. That's great, then if it hardly effects him. You've done what you could.

Back
Top Bottom