can a GIGANTIC owl eat my chickens? My ducks? My goose?!?!?

I've never given it any thought before tonight but I have ducks in the duck pond that are wild(ish). I dont own them. Right now there are little baby ducks there too. I guess it would be easier for the owls in my area to prey on them than it would be for them to get in a covered run with my chickens. Now that I am thinking about it, I should build one of those floating duck houses. Heck, I dont even know where the ducks sleep. I should go look. Maybe tomorrow, right now its halftime.

Sorry about the hijack, thinking aloud.

Mike D.

Last edited:
you definitely should build those poor baby duckies a home! Owls are sort of nasty i guess, and I was late to take my boy to school this morning due to almost running over a tiny white dog in my driveway (it's really snowy, and the dog is smaller than a cat, and is totally not mine), and trying to catch it so I could take it around the neighborhood (RURAL) and try to find it's owners before our giant owl eats it! no luck, it took off down the road...

I lost all of my roosters to a owl in a course of two nights. I only know it was a owl because it kept coming back. It took kittens, chickens everything! It scared me to death a few times.

Check your state laws. I believe you can scare it away if it doesn't get harmed.

We also had a huge owl try to take our lab in town!

We have GHO's where I live and one morning I saw one swoop down and take a huge jack rabbit! Where do you live? I will come over and nicley ask it to leave with a .22 if you would like! I am just jokin'! I guess because they are protected or what ever that just means that you have to spend tons of extra money to build your little girls a steel cage for them to live in when they are outside. A .22 is really cheap, I am a pretty good shot.
smile.png

I guess because they are protected or what ever that just means that you have to spend tons of extra money to build your little girls a steel cage for them to live in when they are outside.

That about sums it up.
Owls - 1
People - 0​

I just got off the phone with the VT dept of fish and wildlife, and they said that I could "holler at it and throw snowballs', as long as I didn't actually HIT it. I can't touch it, but I can annoy it from a distance. I'm gonna go make some snowballs for tonight!!!

I have three things for owls. Hang a large "Disco Ball" in a high three, have motion detecto lights and TWO big Great Pyrenees that aren't able to read the "laws" on raptors. Even a single light shing on the disco ball will send off showers of sparkles when the wind is blowing. It looks like a thousand tiny flashing lights at night. Of course the downside to this is, the hens will stay up all night DANCING and get up late the next day:lol:.

You can't actaully hit the owl with a snowball hu? What if you have really bad aim and hit it with a huge ice packed snowball right in the head!

Back
Top Bottom