Can a move cause stomach upset?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabriellebw, Jun 25, 2010.

1. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    We recently moved (about three weeks ago). My three hens are digging in new dirt and because of the yard layout are having less free range time. I have noticed that at least two of the girls are having diarrhea and one of them has not lay in three days which is unusual for her. Aside from this they are all acting perfectly normal. They are running around, eating lots of bugs, worms, etc. Any ideas about what might be causing the diarrhea, and how to fix it? Also, could it be related to the lack of egg laying?

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I wonder...there are different strains of Coccidia protozoa. Maybe with the move, they've been exposed to a new strain they have not built up a resistance for and the diarrhea is from Coccidiosis?

3. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    What is that? We took her to the vet who seems to think that there is a bacterial infection at work. She gave us clavamox. Olive seems to be doing a bit better but we can't eat her eggs now for a long time because of the antibiotics...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by