Can a pullet have long tail feathers like this?

TheOtherHorse

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Crestwood, KY
This is supposedly an Easter Egger pullet, but I noticed that the tail feathers are getting really long and curved... None of our hens have tail feathers like that, and I am now concerned that "she" may be a cockerel. However, our rooster does not seem to have any problem with it, no picking or drama. I would have thought if there was a cockerel coming of age in the flock that Mr Rooster may have something to say about it..

That's a rooster. How your other roo reacts to this maturing young guy is always a crapshoot. Some older roos are very vigilant about a youngster, some don't care so much.

Shes probably a he but I had one like that and she lays eggs now..the long tail feathers fell out..does she have a single pea comb or 3rows

Shes probably a he but I had one like that and she lays eggs now..the long tail feathers fell out..does she have a single pea comb or 3rows

I think it is considered single comb. This picture kind of shows it. Does that make a difference? I don't want to eat "her" if she might be a hen...

Quote:

I don't have any males...mine have a single ridge pea comb...all pullets...one had long tail feathers that fell out...does she have saddle feathers ..how old...mine were pink faced til right before they laid.
I'd wait for an egg or a crow befo

Back
Top Bottom