Can a quail die of lonelyness?

Quailaholic131

Chirping
Nov 22, 2019
So i have 3 baby quail that are 3 weeks old and ive kept one of them seperate coz i wanna raise her (or him idk the gender but i just call it a her) to be a trained inside pet instead of putting her outside and i have a really strong bond with her, but she has seen the other baby quail and now squawks everyonce in a while and trys to run through her cage to theirs. (Not like banging against it or self harm) and im worried she could die of loneliness coz i heard chickens can so could quail? If thats the case then can anyone give me tips on how to prevent it without adding another quail to her cage? I already have a plushie, grass clump, and rice bag that i warm up that she snuggles with and i hold her quiet often. (At least 3 times a day if not more )

Do you think she will grow out of trying to find the others once i put them outside and she cant hear them anymore or could this be life threatening for her? They are real fragile things.

So i have 3 baby quail that are 3 weeks old and ive kept one of them seperate coz i wanna raise her (or him idk the gender but i just call it a her) to be a trained inside pet instead of putting her outside and i have a really strong bond with her, but she has seen the other baby quail and now squawks everyonce in a while and trys to run through her cage to theirs. (Not like banging against it or self harm) and im worried she could die of loneliness coz i heard chickens can so could quail? If thats the case then can anyone give me tips on how to prevent it without adding another quail to her cage? I already have a plushie, grass clump, and rice bag that i warm up that she snuggles with and i hold her quiet often. (At least 3 times a day if not more )

Do you think she will grow out of trying to find the others once i put them outside and she cant hear them anymore or could this be life threatening for her? They are real fragile things.
If it is given plenty of affection from you and successfully bonds with you, it might be okay. I know if it is a male, it will do a little better by itself, (I put my males in solitary occasionally if they become troublesome and they seem to be fine), All of my females do best when with other females, but none of them bonded to me. Like sourland said, they are flock animals, but companionship of human kind seems okay if you can give it consistently. Ie also seen various people post ẗame quails on here so they may have advice!

Unless you will be its constant companion, like joined at the hip and never out of its sight, it really isn't fair. Quail are always with each other. Button quail will die of loneliness for sure so it could happen in other breeds as well.

Your babies would have bonded even before they hatched, knowing each others voices and communicating with each other in a way they never can with us.

Personality can be selected for and our coturnix are all very tame and laid back because we never carried on the troublemakers genes. I have multiple males (too many in fact) in with hens in a large aviary but they don't fight and no one is stressed out. Our kids constantly pick them up and they just put up with it with endless patience. With coturnix it's very easy to breed birds with a 'pet' personality. If you were going to have some indoors (just be aware of how much dust they produce - way worse than a cockatiel) I'd keep two hens. They will love you, especially at treat time.

Now you have an excuse to hatch a few more. :D

Unless you will be its constant companion, like joined at the hip and never out of its sight, it really isn't fair. Quail are always with each other. Button quail will die of loneliness for sure so it could happen in other breeds as well.

Your babies would have bonded even before they hatched, knowing each others voices and communicating with each other in a way they never can with us.

Personality can be selected for and our coturnix are all very tame and laid back because we never carried on the troublemakers genes. I have multiple males (too many in fact) in with hens in a large aviary but they don't fight and no one is stressed out. Our kids constantly pick them up and they just put up with it with endless patience. With coturnix it's very easy to breed birds with a 'pet' personality. If you were going to have some indoors (just be aware of how much dust they produce - way worse than a cockatiel) I'd keep two hens. They will love you, especially at treat time.

Now you have an excuse to hatch a few more. :D

Yeah i might just hatch another but im worried if the one thats seperated turns into a male it will become agressive and try to protect its friend, because thats what happened to my other males.

My Rumi(profile pic) is a dear house pet. She loves cuddling and following humans all around my apartment. When she grooms herself she does it around me or my mom, if she wants to take a nap, she goes to her favorite spot in the living room, arrange the blanket to her liking, and stretch her legs out. If she wants a snack or a cuddle, she jumps up to mom's lap and pull at the sleeves. She is with my family members 24/7, you see, and she thinks of herself as a master of the house. I am telling you this not because I want to give out hopes that any quail chick can be trained this way, rather, I want to let you know that its a hard deal to make a quaik tame and keep it that way.

Here are the things we(my whole family) put up with.

1. Rumi was a lone chick from the start(not intentionally), so what she saw right after she hatched is human face. I slept with her brooder in the same room, and calmed her back to sleep when she cried out for her 'mom', which happend several times per night. I was sleep deprived for a while.
2. She also grew up with a mirror and its supposed to provide lone chicks some 'company' with their own reflection, but she was not really interested in it except for an occasional peck so idk about that. Maybe it helps with a quail chick that knows that its a quail?
3. When Rumi has grown enough, I movedher from the brooder to her cage in the living room and she spends every second with my family. She screams to get out of the cage when she wakes up, spends up to 5 hours a day freely roaming all over the apartment(quails are NOT potty trainable), gets her share of snacks, cuddles, tv watching then goes into my room to her 'nest' to sleep. There always should be at least 1 famoly member supervising her routine and tending to her needs.
4. Even with at least 1 family member always babysitting her, she has favorites and would cry out loud when my mom or dad 'disappear' for a minute to the bathroom or something.
5. She nearly escaped horrible deaths several times. Living with a pet so small, you always need to be careful. And she will FLY, even with the egg heavy in her belly and her wings trimmed short. My family set up a small partition to block her from flying right into the kitchen to a frying pan.

I am happy that things turned out well and my family enjoys presence of the most lovely quail in the world, but if I knew what it will take to keep her I doubt that I would have tried hatching, so...

Last edited:
I have a king quail that I raised lone in a brooder, not my choice, but because of circumstances. She was rejected by her parents when she hatched so we had to raise her. She became super attached to us and would constantly want to be held. It was exhausting, but, she finally get reunited with her sister when she was rejected at two and a half weeks old. The two became inseparable and have gone on to adopt and raise their siblings who were rejected since. She loves her siblings, but still loves me, I still hold her and hug her daily. I'm pretty happy with this arrangement as she's happy and loves me, but still loves her siblings.

Back
Top Bottom