Can a roo be neutered

donna8424

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 22, 2009
Florida
One of our new girls turned out to be a boy. I would hate to give him away; I know no one would take care of him right

Yes. It is called caponizing, but it may be tough to find a vet or experience farmer who can do it. It has to be done by 12-16 weeks since their testes are located inside under rib cage, so they need to be small. My grandfather raised capons and (per my mom) they were really sweet. They would always try to take care of the chicks after the mama hen hatched 'em. We've never raised one though. Supposedly they grow bigger than an intact rooster!

Quote:
I've wondered the same thing. I doubt I would go through the trouble though. Extra roo's end up in the freezer.

BC, thanks for the info

Neutering a roo is like Burger king selling a Big mac...........................................You just don't do it, I'm not sure if you could.
All you need to do is build him his own coop a small tractor that way he can't get the girls and you can still have him since you don't want chicks or to rehome him.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do I trust it will work out in the end for both of you.

I know...when your really like a bird, it's hard to trust that someone else would give them the kind of home you would like for them. I think a rooster can be "fixed," but it's generally done early, and generally done so the rooster will grow bigger (for eating). I'm not sure whether you could find a vet to do something like that or not???? Are you not allowed to have roosters in your area? There are some who almost never crow. I've just recently adopted one, and haven't heard him crow since he's been here...???

I don’t know how old he is, I heard him crow for the first time Friday 3/12
barnie.gif
that’s how I found out she was a he. We really don’t want babies and I thought most Roo’s were mean to the girls. He’s a pretty bird Ameraucana white, black with a little brown and yellow

Quote:
Are you sure she is a he? I have read that a hen can take on the male role AND have been known to crow. I myself have not experienced this but I have read it here on this forum.

We have one (big bird) that has taken the male role; I don’t think she even likes to lay. I did not know a hen would crow that’s funny. Oreo is starting to look like a roo

Just cause you have a roo doesn't mean you will have babies. If you collect eggs daily and put them in the frig they will not develop. As for being mean to the girls... it depends on the roo, not all are mean to their ladies, mine is sooo gentlemanly (see my sig) and loves and protects his ladies. If you are in an area where you ARE allowed to keep a roo AND he is nice and you like him. I would keep him. Roosters are so pretty they have lots of pros...

The best way to tell for sure and I have seen it many times with my friends birds what you wanna do is look for spurs or starting of spurs they have extra tuff skin there where they should be or lil points starting to come out. But hey IMHO if it looks like a chicken and walks like a chicken and crows like a rooster then that can only mean one thing..............yep it's a DUCK
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
hide.gif
Well I thought it was funny.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom