Can a roo be neutered

Men sometimes have something similar done! It does'nt hurt after a couple of weeks! If people and dogs cats etc have it done, then a chicken can! It might even make him more friendly! I say if you have money GO FOR IT!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:

I know of not one human man that has been voluntarily nuetered, that is ---- testes removed.

Many have had a vasectomy --- you will have to look it up, or better yet ask your mom, to find out exactly what it is (I know what it is but I am not going to explain something like that to some one I figure is a minor), but it is not removal of the testes.

The reason I asked about neutering is to help the hens. A rooster is not very nice when he mates I thought if he was neutered he wouldn’t hurt them. We had twelve hens about a year old. Then we got six more chicks, Oreo was one of the six. He only seems to jump the small one. The older hen’s chase him. I don’t want to put him in a separate cage. Then he will be lonely. I probable will keep him the way he is and let him be happy.

Even though it looks pretty rough, the rooster doesn't usually hurt the hen during mating. If he is being super aggressive and beating them up or pulling out all their feathers, leaving their backs bald, then he needs to go. Otherwise, he's not really doing any damage. Even if he is gone or neutered, one of the hens may take over and start mounting the others.

That's a good idea, Greathorse, to try caponizing first on a rooster that's already dead, to see how doable it is. Storey's guide does say that in some areas caponizing can only be done by a vet, so check your local regulations. And no, I don't believe a capon will crow. They can grow to be as large as small turkeys with tender meat, and are apparently very sweet and good to hens. (This is all from reading, BTW, not experience.)

Quote:
LOL it was!! I am easily entertained.. IMO Americauna roos are gentle and quiet..and very nice to the hens.

Ameraucana roos are and very polite. EE roos arent soo polite and neither are speckled sussex roos. SS roos are nice to people but not always to their ladies
roll.png

Caponizing is an "artform" rapidly falling by the wayside. I know of some old timers around here that use to do it. I even have an antique caponizing set, but have never attempted it personally. Have seen a couple in real life, but they were for display purpose. Some people say that it is painful and cruel, but I don't feel it is. I have dubbed many old english cockerels, and I don't think its any more painful than that. Some will disagree, but its quick and easy from what I hear, and practicing on a dead bird makes much more sense. After all in vet school they practice surgery on dead creatures before you cut into a live one. Originally it was to develop better meat birds, and with the introduction of cornish x rock crosses, you don't really need a capon anymore, but its still nice to know about it and the history of the poultry industry.

Back
Top Bottom