Can a roo be neutered

my roo turned mean on me as soon as he hit puberty hes either getting fixed or eaten but mom love him so I'm trying to save him

The Ameraucans are gentle as a rule. When they are crossed to other breeds of chickens (which produce Easter Eggers) then if those breeds are more aggressive you can get am aggressive roo. I had two brothers who were Marans\Ameraucana crosses. One was and extreme gentleman with his ladies even though he had 3 inch spurs he never cut them up. The other one was mean to all the girls pulling feathers and spurring them when he mated. He also would chase any young cockerals down and do the same to them. He kept jumping me and one day did it on my day off. I butchered him in the shower.

forgive me, but if the OP is wanting to keep the rooster because they are worried about someone else "not caring for them right" then why is anyone advocating caponizing as a solution?! seriously? surely, subjecting the roo to a major surgery without anesthetic--an operation where a chance of death by complications is an accepted risk, and where success of completely removal at that age is not guaranteed anyway--is not an appropriate suggestion in this case.

caponizing has always been done for economic and/or management reasons, not for humane reasons. and it is banned in some places over humane concerns--its not done for the welfare of the cockerels/roos.

Humanely killing and eating the little guy would cause less suffering, but somehow i dont think thats what the OP had in mind either... :)

But regardles, a discussion of the merits or lack thereof of caponizing seems a subject for a totally different thread, id say...

Last edited:
my roo turned mean on me as soon as he hit puberty hes either getting fixed or eaten but mom love him so I'm trying to save him 

If he's past puberty, it's too late to "fix" him. They're not like a dog where you can take them to the vet and have it done any time. Many vets won't even caponize a cockerel at the proper age. Most chicken keepers do it at home, no anesthesia, hoping their chicken lives through it.

If your mom loves him, you may need to look into behavior modification - it may or may not work, but if you're desperate, it's worth a shot.

Before spending much time getting too upset about this subject, you might want to know that OP hasn't posted on BYC in 4 years.  

haha! point taken... :)

i actually own a caponizing kit, but never got up the nerve or bothered to try it, and doubt i ever will having done more reseearch since. im not convinced its completely evil if done properly for the right reasons. just didnt think it was apt or helpful to the original discussion and obviously making some people, like the OP, uncomfortable (maybe thats why they never came back to byc...?)

and btw people do read old threads for info all the time on here when doing web searches, so i thought the point worth making...

cheers and happy new years!

I don’t know how old he is, I heard him crow for the first time Friday 3/12
barnie.gif
that’s how I found out she was a he. We really don’t want babies and I thought most Roo’s were mean to the girls. He’s a pretty bird Ameraucana white, black with a little brown and yellow
Eat all the eggs. No babies, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom