Can antibiotics alone cure bumblefoot?

debbiesala

Hatching
Feb 7, 2023
Greetings everyone, We recently inherited an older silver laced wyandotte from our father. She's always been free range in about 2 acres of land, has never been handled all her life, and avoids any attempts to touch her. She's very healthy and is still laying eggs. But now she has bumblefoot with a small black scab on the bottom of her foot and some swelling coming through her toes. Would amoxicillin be enough to cure this without needing to do anything physical like soaking, prying off the scab/squeezing or taking to the vet? And for how long would she need to take it? I've been giving her 175-200 mg for almost 5 days (along with probiotics) and don't see a reduction in swelling although she's walking better (limping and favoring the foot has been reduced). I'm trying not to traumatize her with handling but realize the need to treat this. Thank you very much.

Greetings everyone, We recently inherited an older silver laced wyandotte from our father. She's always been free range in about 2 acres of land, has never been handled all her life, and avoids any attempts to touch her. She's very healthy and is still laying eggs. But now she has bumblefoot with a small black scab on the bottom of her foot and some swelling coming through her toes. Would amoxicillin be enough to cure this without needing to do anything physical like soaking, prying off the scab/squeezing or taking to the vet? And for how long would she need to take it? I've been giving her 175-200 mg for almost 5 days (along with probiotics) and don't see a reduction in swelling although she's walking better (limping and favoring the foot has been reduced). I'm trying not to traumatize her with handling but realize the need to treat this. Thank you very much.
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of the foot?

Antibiotics alone will not dry up chicken pus and are not usually needed to treat bumblefoot. If there's a scab with a core, then it needs to be pressed out and removed so the foot can heal.

How much does the hen weigh? Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
If you are administering meds to her, then hopefully you'll be able to tend to the foot as well.
For hard to catch birds, wait until they are roosting, then grab them. I understand that's sort of a pain, but sometimes that's the only way. Go out first thing in the morning, grab her from the roost to treat and give meds or at night.
Some get used to being handled and treated and become very tame, others just don't like it at all.

Greetings, Thank you for your very informative and kind reply. We involved a vet who lanced and prescribed Trimethoprim Sulfa antibiotic and Meloxicam pain and inflammation at 1.5 ml each twice daily for 2 weeks. The "bumble" was on the top and bottom (likely connected) but the vet said the bottom was healing and lanced the top only as the best route to get out the pus. ( can post a photo soon.) It's been 4 days since the visit and she's acting like a young chicken again. I assume her foot pain as well as other aches and pains of old age are lessened due to the medication. We took your advice and have been handling her at the roost for medication dispensing. She was stressed and squeaking during the entire episode of cage and travel to the vet but she tolerated it and seems to have put it behind her. She prefers her independence but at least I know she can get through handling episodes. Tough birds!

Greetings, Thank you for your very informative and kind reply. We involved a vet who lanced and prescribed Trimethoprim Sulfa antibiotic and Meloxicam pain and inflammation at 1.5 ml each twice daily for 2 weeks. The "bumble" was on the top and bottom (likely connected) but the vet said the bottom was healing and lanced the top only as the best route to get out the pus. ( can post a photo soon.) It's been 4 days since the visit and she's acting like a young chicken again. I assume her foot pain as well as other aches and pains of old age are lessened due to the medication. We took your advice and have been handling her at the roost for medication dispensing. She was stressed and squeaking during the entire episode of cage and travel to the vet but she tolerated it and seems to have put it behind her. She prefers her independence but at least I know she can get through handling episodes. Tough birds!
Thank you for the update.
I'm glad you were able to see the vet for treatment. I hope she recovers quickly.

Back
Top Bottom