Can Anyone Answer This Washing Machine Question?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So I just got a stackable washer dryer unit, used but in excellent condition. I finally get it hooked up and discover that it won't run on cold. I can wash/rinse with both hot, wash/rinse with both warm, but cannot wash/rinse with both cold or even wash warm/rinse cold. Any cold water option just won't work, no water will run.

My father said he noticed one that he recently bought does the same thing. I have the two hoses, hooked up to cold and hot inlets, so I don't get it. Does anyone know why I can't use cold water in the wash and/or rinse cycles? I might think something was wrong with it except that I know the people I bought it from, and my dad said the same thing just happened to him (and he does not know why either). Anyone? [​IMG]

2. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

check the filter (screen) at the water inlet cold side???? thats the only thing i got.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I agree with smiley sound's like a clog or something on the cold line if you aren't getting any cold/warm water.I Have a front load and hubby has had tear it down twice due a to clogged drain basket that they put in these new one's.

4. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Do you mean on the hoses that attach to the inlets? The hoses are brand new, just unwrapped them.

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Most folks dont realize that most washers have a little filter right in side of the fitting that the cold water hose fits into. Look into it (not your hose, the fitting) and see if you can see a filter or some blockage. That also happens to be the cheapest fix, often free

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Whenever I have an appliance question I got to www.repairclinic.com

We have saved a FORTUNE on appliances because we were able to dx a problem and order parts from this site. And hubby and I aren't exactly handy. So if we can understand it, you should be able to [​IMG]

7. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    The way I read it you get Hot and Warm water. IN that case you are getting cold water flow. Warm = hot and cold water mixed. I am not sure why water will not flow for any cold setting though.

The other thing could be that when you see water running in the warm settings it is really only hot water flowing and not warm. This does mean you have no cold water flow.

If it turns out you really have no cold water flowing start from the beginning. are you sure you have the cold water valve turned on? Check the filter in the washing machine to make sure it is not clogged, that sort of thing.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My thought too. Could be that the 'switch' for all cold is wonky... maybe a new 'switch' would fix that? I really have no idear, but that's prolly what I'd try.

9. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:That is what I wrote, although I neglected to mention that the warm feels like straight hot to me. My dad thought it felt warm, but I'm used to my water temp, and to me it felt like straight hot (my hot never gets scalding hot; I keep the water heater thermostat low). So I don't think the cold water flow is working. There is only one valve for both hot and cold, and it is definitely on.

There's no chance of a clog in the hoses, since they are brand new, literally, today. Plus this happened with my dad too, and only with cold, just like mine. So I think it's a hookup or compatibility issue or something like that, but not sure what.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I assume you know the cold tap is on... lefty loosey...

And you already checked your dial... it's engaging when you point it to cold?

Did you try swapping the hoses? If it was a hose problem then doing that would give you cold, but no hot. So then you know you need a hose.

If you've tried those then maybe water-inlet valve...

This is goggle talking... remember, I know nothing... no se nada... and so on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by