can anyone help we are new to hatching chicks

andien

Hatching
9 Years
May 21, 2010
We are new to incubating and hatching chickens, this is our first time so...we had a hopefully girl yesterday get stuck 1/3 the way in her shell after hours she was becoming very weak and was truly stuck. I seemed the moisture was not sufficient even though we are running at about 64% low to 70% high on the humidity.

I helped her out a bit cracking the shell just a little letting her get out the rest of the way...after hours in the incubator a portion of the shell was stuck to her wing and upper back. Last night we decided to re-moisten the shell and membrane holding it to her and remove it. It came off very easily and now today I noticed no feather in a small location with her skin a little red and irritated...Should I put something on her skin to re-moisten it? She seams happy is eating and drinking today in the brooder, is just a little smaller than the rest that were all hatched about the same time!

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can pass our way.

I am also new, but I think as long as no one is pecking at it, it should be fine. I am watching 18 eggs in my incubator as we type!!
fl.gif

Also new here, but if little ones do start to peck at it I've read that switching to a red brooder bulb helps stop it. They can't see the red spot on the chick as easily that way, so they'll leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom