Can anyone ID this chick?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
IMGP2553.jpg

I hatched 2 separate batches of eggs at the same time. One set was all EE's & the other was a barnyard mix that could have included marans, orps, ee's, yokohamas (I'm sure I spelled that wrong!) and phoenix's. I thought this one (who is just over 2wks old) was an EE, but he's the only one that has a tail coming in that looks like that. The other 3 have normal looking tail feathers that are*just* starting to come in.

Any ideas? Is this one a "fancy tailed" breed? Or is he an EE that is just developing faster than the others?

Quote:
Not sure- its hard to tell (for me)

IMGP2559.jpg

(ETA- excuse the dust. He/She had just been enjoying a good dig in the shavings before I pulled him/her out of the brooder for the photoshoot)

Last edited:
Quote:
Ooh! That would be nice!!!

Of course- IF that is the case, it means I've just gotten rid of 4 roos, only to have to now get rid of 3 more... oy!

Depending on breed pullets feather out faster then cockerals. This isnt an exact science and you shouldnt rely on this for sexing birds espcially crossbreeds. Unless you can vent sex them no way to tell forsure of the sex until they either crow or lay an egg. Right now that one looks to be a pullet but that look could easily change in a few weeks.

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking, too... until the tail started growing out. I guess only time will tell. I *so* hope he/she is an EE. I'm not set up or equipped to have a long tailed bird!

Arent phoenixes & yokohamas smaller? This guy is huge compared to his/her "siblings".

Back
Top Bottom