Can anyone identify the breed of this duck?

This is what it looked like a few days after we found it. I do have my own ducks, they are calls. However none of the calls were setting at the time this one hatched, we couldn't find any broken egg shells in the pens or nest boxes either. So we're assuming it's not one of my own as we have no idea how it'd come to be. The last hatching of call ducks I had was atleast 4 weeks before this little fella showed up.

Only one of our other neighbours has ducks. However hers don't appear to have any babies.

It's all just one big weird mystery as to where it's come from. As each day goes on, I get more and more curious as to what breed it actually is.

Might just have to sit back and watch it grow and develop a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_7855.JPG
    IMG_7855.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 7
This is what it looked like a few days after we found it. I do have my own ducks, they are calls. However none of the calls were setting at the time this one hatched, we couldn't find any broken egg shells in the pens or nest boxes either. So we're assuming it's not one of my own as we have no idea how it'd come to be. The last hatching of call ducks I had was atleast 4 weeks before this little fella showed up.

Only one of our other neighbours has ducks. However hers don't appear to have any babies.

It's all just one big weird mystery as to where it's come from. As each day goes on, I get more and more curious as to what breed it actually is.

Might just have to sit back and watch it grow and develop a bit more.

That looks a lot like a Call from that pic... how big is it compared to yours?

what's a "muscovy bill?" I didn't know there was a difference.

Muscovies have a mask that starts around their bill as ducklings... it's like a thick, pink, fleshy line around the base of the bill... very distinctive... I can look for a pic if you'd like... :)

Thanks! I never noticed that they started {on caruncles} so early--can you see it in hatchlings?

EDT: day-old ones, I mean.

Very welcome... and yes, some just aren't as obvious... one of the tells is the way the top 2 'points' of the bill look sharper/longer than other breeds because of the mask too... see here (also not my pics, just borrowed for reference)...

hedgecombers1246.jpg
muscovyducks_chocolate_pied_muscovy_with_ducklings_de5086fdb2ce8cba3cc1e7a7_1d8d03b6.jpg

That looks a lot like a Call from that pic... how big is it compared to yours?

Muscovies have a mask that starts around their bill as ducklings... it's like a thick, pink, fleshy line around the base of the bill... very distinctive... I can look for a pic if you'd like... :)

It's hard to tell wether it's as big as what the other call babies have grown at. I feel like it's bigger for it's rough age when we found it.

None of my calls have blackish bills or feet though.. so not sure where that comes from.

The only way it's possibly one of my calls would be in a chook of mine sat on an egg, hatched it and then left it alone.

It just looks nothing like my other call duck babies that i`ve had.. so I assumed it wouldn`t be that. Who knows.. time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom