Can anyone identify this bird?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by duckncover, Jan 13, 2012.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    This bird was at the parrot rescue so I took it home for my aviary. It came in with another one but that one died on the way there. Can anyone tell me what kind of finch/bird this is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Female house finch.

4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I just feel bad that she doesn't have any of her own kind. I used to feel bad for my button quail but he's become tame enough for out of cage time. I'm working on that with her at the moment. From what I understand if she is a house finch that they aren't common in the pet trade and I probably won't be able to adopt one for her to live with. Right now she's living with my cockatiels, budgies, and button quail in a big parrot cage.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Is it possible to rehabilitate her to go back to the wild?

6. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I would contact a local wildlife rescue they might be able to help, this is something the parrot rescue should have done, or known since they are a rescue as you can be fined for keeping wild birds.

7. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    But if it is the case that she was taken from the wild then why is she in PA? They aren't native here.

8. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    maybe it became lost?

9. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I finally figured out what she is! She is a Crimson-wing Finch. Unfortunately they are only native to Pakistan and Morocco so bringing her to a rehab is useless. I'm going to keep her and make it my duty to find her a mate. From what I understand they aren't really popular in the pet trade but are cage birds in certain areas. I found a breeder online but they are relatively expensive ($160 a pair+shipping) so I'm going to have to wait for now.

1 person likes this.
  10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Contact that breeder and ask about rescuing any returned/retired birds.

-good- breeders take back animals if emergency arises, so they might have some adults to place out.

He/She may understand the problem and be able to give advice too-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by