Can anyone say with certainty this is a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nittanyxi, Jul 10, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    This is my 9 week old RR. I'm convinced it's a roo but want to make sure before I get rid of him. Does anyone think there is any chance that this is a pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    At 9 weeks looks to be a cockerel.

3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Can anyone else chime in with an opinion. I'd hate to get rid of him if he is really a pullet. thanks.

4. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    ya never know Id wait a wile longer and see if it doodle doos or not they say girls lay around 21 weeks and your half way there what can it hurt to wait a bit longer Good luck

5. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I'm no pro but I would give it more time. The comb looks small enough to be a pullet for that age. I'd wait. Let us know!

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Looks like a Roo to me. Pullet's combs normally don't start changing to a pink or red until they are close to laying.

7. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I would give it a bit more time...It could surprise you. I agree it does look like a roo but then again I have seen pullets with early combs in some breeds. I'd just wait for a crow to be certain if you don't want to get rid of him if you don't have to. My 12 week old roo just started crowing this week so you may not have long.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In my untrained opinion, RIRs are tough to say as adolescents, because the pullets have so much of the same coloration as the cockerels, they're big, robust birds, and more "comb-y" than some other breeds. I have a RIR and she's surprisingly roo-ish in appearance and demeanor. Not quite confident as some roos, but certainly more confident than those I have of other breeds.

I don't think you can compare just TWO of them in your pictures and say for sure one is a pullet and one is a roo. If there was a flock of 10 or so, all the same age, and your suspect was the ONLY one with a comb that grown, then yah... but my pullet looked very similar to that at that age. Kinda worried me, too.

Can you wait a few weeks to be sure??

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yea I would wait. I saw one this last week that is already egg laying and I could have sworn the thing was a roo. It acted like a roo, looked like a roo, and then sat down on its nest and laid an egg. I would give it a bit more time. Tricky little things. I gave up trying to sex mine. I think mine are around 16 weeks and I think I know but I am still not sure enough to say one needs to meet the freezer.

10. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Hi, I would wait at least a few more weeks. You should see an obvious change over that time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by