Can anyone tell if this is an umbilical cord or intestines?

Celcampbell23

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Davidson, North Carolina
Warning! Graphic image
347C45AE-A4D4-499C-8066-EC97B0F5F06C.jpeg

Yeah, it does look intestinal to me due to the size and the curvy nature. Umbilical would have shrunk and dried by now.

I see it is drying and turning black in places, which may be necrotic tissue. You can always try to push it in, but the prognosis on a prolapsed intestine isn't good.

I had a chick just recently with something similar, that looked like the liver was outside, and the hole was a bit to the side of the umbilical. He was active and ate and defecated, but after a few days he died. :(

Yeah, it does look intestinal to me due to the size and the curvy nature. Umbilical would have shrunk and dried by now.

I see it is drying and turning black in places, which may be necrotic tissue. You can always try to push it in, but the prognosis on a prolapsed intestine isn't good.

I had a chick just recently with something similar, that looked like the liver was outside, and the hole was a bit to the side of the umbilical. He was active and ate and defecated, but after a few days he died. :(
It does look like it’s a bit to the side of the umbilical. I tried to put it back in but she keeps pushing it back out. I had another earlier in the hatch that something similar happened and I put hers back in and it stayed and now I can’t tell her from the rest. Do you think it’s in loads of pain? I am fine waiting to see what happens but I don’t want it to suffer if the outcome is surely death

It does look like it’s a bit to the side of the umbilical. I tried to put it back in but she keeps pushing it back out. I had another earlier in the hatch that something similar happened and I put hers back in and it stayed and now I can’t tell her from the rest. Do you think it’s in loads of pain? I am fine waiting to see what happens but I don’t want it to suffer if the outcome is surely death
It's difficult to tell when animals are in pain. Mine didn't seem to be, but started getting weaker and weaker until it died. If it had still been alive the next morning, I would have culled it.

When did it hatch?

Back
Top Bottom