Can anyone tell me what breed this is? Most definitely NOT the speckled sussex I ordered!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlholm, Jun 19, 2016.

1. jlholm

jlholm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I thought when they arrived that I had received 2 extra Super Blue Egg Layers instead of the Speckled Sussex that I had ordered, but they don't look like the SBEL I did get. They are 8 weeks old here. .....and I'm almost afraid to ask....could they be little roos?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Probably Leghorns, they look like pullets.

3. jlholm

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply! Not exactly what I wanted, lol! But glad its not a roo since I already have a Jersey Giant roo and not enough hens to have another.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a leghorn to me.

5. jlholm

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Thanks! Not what I had in mind, but it is what it is!

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I have 1 white leghorn. And I'm not saying it's a bad chicken, but it's flightyness does rub off on the rest of the flock. I won't purposely get another. Like you say, and is so true about a lot of stuff, it is what it is. Speckled would have been nice. I would at least ask for a refund of the birds you did not get. You didn't get what you paid for. And there is NO way to confuse a sussex with a leghorn IMO.

Good luck!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    White Leghorn pullets.

The nice thing is, they're a pretty popular breed. So, if you don't want to keep one or both of them, they should be easy to sell.

8. jlholm

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Thanks! I agree! There's no way to think those are Sussex! They did reimburse me, but I'm stuck with the chicks. They have been showing the flightiness you describe and getting the whole flock worked up. Since I have a small flock kept mainly as pets, I was very specific about what breeds I want, so it's very dissappointing. Here in New York there is a 6 chick minimum, so I couldn't just go get a couple Sussex.[​IMG]

9. jlholm

Mar 12, 2013
    Western New York
    My Coop
    Thanks! I may have to do that.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know prices vary from region to region but here I'm asking $13 each for 10 week old Leghorn pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by