1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Baby Chicks Use Horizontal Nipples?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AUChickenGal, Jun 11, 2017.

1. AUChickenGal

AUChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Minor SOS situation here...

I have chicks coming from Meyer Hatchery this week (due to hatch/ship tomorrow). I was setting up the brooder this afternoon and realized that my chick waterer is leaking like crazy! I have a couple of small bottles (orange juice jugs, actually) with horizontal nipples already installed that I used during the grow out/integration phase for my last pair of chicks. I've looked around a little here, but I can't find any information on whether brand new baby chicks are capable of using the horizontal nipples (I see many people using vertical nipples for them, but those work a little differently...).

Any insight? I can try to scramble and find another waterer tomorrow, but it would make my life much easier if I could just use one of the ones I already have.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sure you can use them.
    Just make sure you show the chicks where the water is.

3. AUChickenGal

AUChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if they'd have the strength to push the nipple in far enough to get water. Good to know that that shouldn't be a problem, in case I can't find another waterer before they arrive.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've only ever used the verticals but I wanted to add that a shallow dish filled with rocks or marbles works in a pinch.

1TurkenLover and AUChickenGal like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by