Can call ducks live with full size ducks

NOT REALLY….i have both and i call the Mallards the “Mallard Mafia”…bottom line is that the male’s constantly fight and try to either take the call duck females and / or chase the call drakes away…it was ok for a while but the only call duck who can really live in peace with the mallards is one who grew up with them….originally I raised a few call and mallard ducklings together…for any (especially male) call ducks that I’ve since added it is difficult

The swedish get a good size, about the same size as a Pekin female, sometimes larger. I think one of my silver Swedish might be mixed because I have two and one is significantly larger than the other and built differently. But maybe it's an age thing too, not sure. But then my two black swedes are bigger I think then the smaller silver Swede and she's got about a year on them so maybe she's just a runt lol. I just want to be sure that I cover all bases when considering whether to get call ducks. I don't want to get them and then realize it's going to be more difficult than I realized or if it came down to needing to rehome them for their safety it's not easy to find a home for ducks around here, especially males.
I totally understand that. I have never had either of those two breeds of ducks. I have mine in with Khaki Campbells, Muscovy, Rouen, Mallards, Runner Ducks and a huge Mule Duck. All females. Mine were totally introduced when they were 3 months old though and my pen is huge with lots of places to hide if things ever did get rough. Good luck with your decision. All ducks are different and I would not want to tell you that your girls would not pick on the little fellas or vice versa and be wrong. I have never had any problems with my little fellas being in with all of my other ducks, even when I had several drakes in the picture.

NOT REALLY….i have both and i call the Mallards the “Mallard Mafia”…bottom line is that the male’s constantly fight and try to either take the call duck females and / or chase the call drakes away…it was ok for a while but the only call duck who can really live in peace with the mallards is one who grew up with them….originally I raised a few call and mallard ducklings together…for any (especially male) call ducks that I’ve since added it is difficult
Mallard Mafia.. love that! 😆 What about putting call drakes (thinking of getting two but they don't sex them so not sure what we'd get) with female Pekin and Swedish (7 ladies)

Mallard Mafia.. love that! 😆 What about putting call drakes (thinking of getting two but they don't sex them so not sure what we'd get) with female Pekin and Swedish (7 ladies)
The ones that I added were three months old when i first got them and they were only separated for 24 hours then put in with everybody else. Mine were all fine together except I had too many boys for my small Mallard girl. I would think this would work out just fine myself.

Yes but be careful I would not put any big drakes with call ducks ever just because of the mating and aggressive behavior. I have my female crested pekin feisty she is old at 5 years and she has bonded to these calls. There is only one male in the ground the small black / white chested little male the rest are females. I always only keep 1 male per group because of the fighting. I have 2 other groups of calls that I breed and only 1 male per group they will fight at the pool sometimes lol when I let them all out together.

Attachments

• 20231021_165216.jpg
    20231021_165216.jpg
    858.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231204_130602.jpg
    20231204_130602.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom