Can call ducks live with full size ducks

I'm thinking of getting calls but they're not sexed so not sure cause I have Pekin drakes, a Pekin hen and the rest Swedish hens. I'm concerned if I end up with drake calls the boys could hurt them but maybe I could put with the girls cause they'd be significantly smaller? If I got girls I could put them with the other ladies but would have to keep them separate from the drakes when letting out (my drakes and hens are separated thru the night)
I have had my Call Drakes with my other Drakes and hens since day one when I got them with no fights. I did have a problem when I had 4 Call Drakes as they like to mate a lot and I had 3 on top of my small Mallard Hen so I rehomed two of the drakes. I now have another drake that was supposed to be a Runner Mallard Drake but since maturing he no longer has the stance of a Runner. He is not exceptionally big and I don't expect him to hurt the Calls in the spring. I had my Calls with a big Muscovy Drake and a big Mallard Drake, a Khaki Campbell Drake too and all was well. The drakes all got rehomed because they were too hard on the Hens. Good luck with your Calls.

I have had my Call Drakes with my other Drakes and hens since day one when I got them with no fights. I did have a problem when I had 4 Call Drakes as they like to mate a lot and I had 3 on top of my small Mallard Hen so I rehomed two of the drakes. I now have another drake that was supposed to be a Runner Mallard Drake but since maturing he no longer has the stance of a Runner. He is not exceptionally big and I don't expect him to hurt the Calls in the spring. I had my Calls with a big Muscovy Drake and a big Mallard Drake, a Khaki Campbell Drake too and all was well. The drakes all got rehomed because they were too hard on the Hens. Good luck with your Calls.
My drakes are Pekins and large, sometime fighting amongst themselves, never drawing blood but feathers get pulled so it concerns me how they might be with a male call, being they are so much smaller. How is your Muscovy drakes temperament in general?

My drakes are Pekins and large, sometime fighting amongst themselves, never drawing blood but feathers get pulled so it concerns me how they might be with a male call, being they are so much smaller. How is your Muscovy drakes temperament in general?
He was really sweet but over mated all of my females and was 15 pounds. I put him in Drake jail with my Mallard Drake and he tried to mate him!! I ended up rehoming both of them along with my other big drakes. I actually traded my big drakes for the Call Drakes. Then had 3 Call Drakes on my Mallard Hen so I rehomed two of them. I now have what was a Runner Drake but acts more horizontal now that it is grown than vertical and the 2 Call Drakes. I just got the Runner one along with a female Runner last fall so hopefully when spring comes he is not hard on anyone. My Calls are in with all of my big females, I have a Mule Duck and she was the product of the 15 pound drake and a big Rouen Duck I have. When giving lettuce to them the little Call Drakes will actually jump up and try to nip at the huge females if they have some and they don't. It amazes me how they are so feisty.

Last edited:
He was really sweet but over mated all of my females and was 15 pounds. I put him in Drake jail with my Mallard Drake and he tried to mate him!! I ended up rehoming both of them along with my other big drakes. I actually traded my big drakes for the Call Drakes. Then had 3 Call Drakes on my Mallard Hen so I rehomed two of them. I now have what was a Runner Drake but acts more horizontal now that it is grown than vertical and the 2 Call Drakes. I just got the Runner one along with a female Runner last fall so hopefully when spring comes he is not hard on anyone. My Calls are in with all of my big females, I have a Mule Duck and she was the product of the 15 pound drake and a big Rouen Duck I have. When giving lettuce to them the little Call Drakes will actually jump up and try to nip at the huge females if they have some and they don't. It amazes me how they are so feisty.
My drakes are all Pekins and it's the same, they're soooo sweet but have a high drive. The one that's the worst has mellowed out and then the one that was mellow has ramped up then we have one that's pretty much in the middle. I was thinking maybe I'd be able to put my calls with my females but didn't know how that'd go depending on what I ended up with for calls (they don't sex them). I was thinking of only getting 2.

My drakes are all Pekins and it's the same, they're soooo sweet but have a high drive. The one that's the worst has mellowed out and then the one that was mellow has ramped up then we have one that's pretty much in the middle. I was thinking maybe I'd be able to put my calls with my females but didn't know how that'd go depending on what I ended up with for calls (they don't sex them). I was thinking of only getting 2.
I think they would do well with your females. If a Pekin would be like my Muscovy Drake and try to mate it that would probably be the end of your little Call Drake. I don't know how unusual it is for a drake to mate a drake. I know the Hens try to mate each other quite often but I had never seen a drake do that before I saw mine doing it.

I think they would do well with your females. If a Pekin would be like my Muscovy Drake and try to mate it that would probably be the end of your little Call Drake. I don't know how unusual it is for a drake to mate a drake. I know the Hens try to mate each other quite often but I had never seen a drake do that before I saw mine doing it.
Yeah that was my concern with the Pekin drakes for sure. With the ladies, if the calls were both males, would that pose a problem if they both tried mating a single female? I know my Pekins will sometimes have 3 on one and I have to break it up, but that's easy to do during the day, they're separated at night so I don't have to worry about it. With the calls though, it I'm keeping them with the ladies at night just wondering if that's something I'd have to be concerned about. I've seen my drakes get on top of another a couple times, same with ladies on ladies. Didn't know if it was mating attempts or a display of dominance.

Yeah that was my concern with the Pekin drakes for sure. With the ladies, if the calls were both males, would that pose a problem if they both tried mating a single female? I know my Pekins will sometimes have 3 on one and I have to break it up, but that's easy to do during the day, they're separated at night so I don't have to worry about it. With the calls though, it I'm keeping them with the ladies at night just wondering if that's something I'd have to be concerned about. I've seen my drakes get on top of another a couple times, same with ladies on ladies. Didn't know if it was mating attempts or a display of dominance.
I would think if your ducks are rather large, such as Pekins or Rouen Ducks that it would be fine. I have two Mallard Hens and one is larger than the other. The one that they would all try to pile on was my smaller one so that is why I rehomed two of the Calls. They say the female Calls are so loud and I looked it up on the internet and they really are loud. My boys love to make their little raspy noise but it is really quiet compared to my girls.

I would think if your ducks are rather large, such as Pekins or Rouen Ducks that it would be fine. I have two Mallard Hens and one is larger than the other. The one that they would all try to pile on was my smaller one so that is why I rehomed two of the Calls. They say the female Calls are so loud and I looked it up on the internet and they really are loud. My boys love to make their little raspy noise but it is really quiet compared to my girls.
The ladies are a Pekin and the rest are swedish. 3 of them are around 7 months old

I am not sure how big the swedish ducks get but I think all will be fine since you will only have two like I do.
The swedish get a good size, about the same size as a Pekin female, sometimes larger. I think one of my silver Swedish might be mixed because I have two and one is significantly larger than the other and built differently. But maybe it's an age thing too, not sure. But then my two black swedes are bigger I think then the smaller silver Swede and she's got about a year on them so maybe she's just a runt lol. I just want to be sure that I cover all bases when considering whether to get call ducks. I don't want to get them and then realize it's going to be more difficult than I realized or if it came down to needing to rehome them for their safety it's not easy to find a home for ducks around here, especially males.

Back
Top Bottom