Can chickens be late bloomer?

Shady77

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2024
I have 4 chickens which I raised them since they were hatched. Two of them grew better as their feathering went well but one of them barely grew any feathers (The black one). It was the smallest among them, and had no tail. But suddenly, after 2 months, the smallest one got a growth spurt like us humans do and grew up tail which it didn't have before. It grew larger in size after 2 months, and got a tail too.

Fun fact: It was the first one to grow a comb and a small wattle among them. And got a voice change as well whereas the other two still have baby chicks sound.
Is it possible that it's a cockerel?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1275935361.jpg
    Snapchat-1275935361.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 31
It's possible that it may be a cockerel. A picture would help resolve that. :welcome
Screenshot_2024-02-06-01-09-19-78_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

This is the same black chick from the main image. this one has only got the voice change until now. And it grew combs and wattles after 2 months where its other siblings don't have any

Absolutely possible. I've had the smallest runt of the flock grow up to be a huge boy. He started outpacing the rest after the second month.

Absolutely possible. I've had the smallest runt of the flock grow up to be a huge boy. He started outpacing the rest after the second month.
Did he start growing the comb and wattle very late as well and got a voice change before the rest?

Did he start growing the comb and wattle very late as well and got a voice change before the rest?
Yes about the comb and wattles. He was small and barely had any until he started growing rapidly. Don't remember the voice :D .

Oh! Quite a resemblance there. I thought my chick had some deficiencies that stunt its growth but after the 2 months mark, he outpaced the growth. And did your cockerel also have no sign of combs and wattles like mine until it's 2-months old? I wanna know if it's breed specific or that happens in rare cases like in winter only. It's nearly 3 months and half mark and I still can't figure out the sex of my chicken :p
Yes about the comb and wattles. He was small and barely had any until he started growing rapidly. Don't remember the voice :D .

Back
Top Bottom