can chickens eat cabbage, carrots and cucumbers

Great idea about hanging the cabbage in the coop. I have just been throwing some from the garden into their run and they LOVE it, and reduce it to a stub in a short time. But hanging it sounds like great fun! We grow more than we can eat, cabbage-wise, as I am not a fan. DH only truly grows it because his grandma grew it.... The birds, though, LOVE it, especially if it has earwigs and such roaming among the leaves -- great chicken fun.

Our girls also love carrot peelings and cucumbers just broken in half -- they peck out the innards.

My flock just about eats anything in my garden, but they don't eat carrots any kind of way. Cabbage, Brocoli leaves, cucumbers, melons and pumpkins, but something about the carrots

Yes to all....

they prefer the carrots cooked tho...spoiled girls. Cabbage is gone so fast its not even funny...and cucumbers are gone even faster at our house. They don't turn much down!!

They can. Too much cabbage can cause runny poops, though, so watch for that and cut back if that happens. Ours don't like carrots.

I knew about hanging a cabbage in the run but I did not think about it distracting them when I add new hens to the flock. I will certainly try that as I am adding two hens in a week and 8 more in May. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to introduce new birds to the flock?

Mine eat just about anything I give them meat/veggie/fruit wise (not citrus) but i think their favorites are strawberries, spinache, corn on the cob, watermelon.

Back
Top Bottom