Can chickens eat Pomagranits?????

plester01

Songster
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
Foreman,AR
I bought some pomagranits and I do not like them. Can I feed them to my chickens? Will they like them?
fl.gif

Great because I bought 4 of them. They are very large and to me they taste terrible. How do I serve them? Do I just cut them in two and let them do the rest or do I need to cut them in small peices?

I cut watermelons and pumpkins in half and in no time there is nothing left but a shell. I imagine you could watch them disappear while standing there. LOL

i would just cut into or whatever and toss out there. they devour watermelon, cantelope etc here too down to skin. well, if they can beat teh geese to it.

Quote:
From all I've read about chickens I'm sure that they would love pomegranites - my practical experience will have to wait 'till next year LOL. But I have to ask, as you don't like them yourself, how are you eating them? Forgive me if this sounds rude, but it took me awhile to figure out how to deal with a pomegranite myself. Are you seperating out the seeds to eat, or are you trying to eat the thing in a more 'conventional" manner, that is, pulp and all? The edible part is just the seeds - whirled in a blender for juice, or a few scattered over a salad are both good "beginning" ways to eat them. Googling would bring up a lot of other recipes.

You are lucky that you have chickens so that they can help with the things you don't like. I have found that, since my decision to get some chicks next Spring, I see every overgrown veg. in the garden, and every wilted salad leaf as food for the chicks that do not yet exist. My compost worms are happy for the extra, but I see every spinach leaf as a dark orange yolk that won't happen because the chicks aren't here yet. (Am I obsessed, or what?)

They are my parrot's favorite food! Too bad pommie season is so cold, because they are messy and I would love to have HIM eat them outside! I feel like having him eat them in the shower stall, with the curtain closed, so I can just hose down the red juice that squirted out when he was eating, after he's done.
lol.png

I bet your chickens will love them. If you just cut them open to expose the insides, that should be enough of a head start for the chickens. For my parrot, I peel the outer covering back a bit, then flick the individual "berries" out into his bowl. I always eat some when I'm fixing them. Were yours possibly not ripe enough? Were they sweet? I pop them in my mouth, suck the juice off and spit out the seed. Not very lady like, but very tasty!
lol.png

They were ripe but to much trouble for me to bother with. I fed them to my chickens this morning and what a sight to see. They had a ball. Running and chasing each other for their bite and another bite as well. They made total pigs of themselves. There is nothing left but the skins.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom