can chickens eat pumpkins?

I took my chickens a left over pumpkin from Halloween.. they didn't like it hardly touched it.... I brought out some cooked rice from last nights dinner it was the funniest thing I have seen them do... My rooster took a piece first ate it let out a huge cry of excitement and all the others came running!

My six chickens are around a month old. I have a huge pumpkin vine growing next to the run. They peck at what they can reach.

Today I let them outside the run and they found the vine with leaves even closer.
It was a feeding frenzy, I will have to video next time.

So I will say yes, they Love pumpkin leaves.

Here's a study by Delaware University on pumpkin seeds as a dewormer:

http://www.desu.edu/sites/default/files/Pumpkin Seeds-Worms_DJO.pdf

They fed goats 6oz of ground pumpkins seeds per day per 75lbs, the equivalent of feeding each chicken roughly an 1/2-1 ounce a day of ground seed. There was almost no difference in the control group and the study group. The charts are almost identical.

I wouldn't count on pumpkin seeds to do anything if your chickens have worms.

I just gave my chickens the "guts" after we were done carving our pumpkins. Even if the seeds may not be a dewormer, pumpkin seeds have good fats in them, right? For healthy skin and all that. :) I'll definitely be giving the girls our pumpkins after Halloween is over! I do give them all my summer squash that gets too big, just slice it in half and put it out there and they love it.

Last edited:
Our girls love pumpkins, guts and all (especially the seeds!). They love all types of squash. Sometimes I give them a raw one cut in half and sometimes they get leftover baked squash. They go nuts over both, within just a few hours, they will devour an entire huge raw squash all the way to the rind.

My mom feeds my house chicken pumpkin everyday since our dogs get canned pumpkin everyday. She loves it and spoiled my mom feeds it to her on a spoon. One day we need to video it because it is so cute.

Back
Top Bottom