Can chickens live in the wild?

Robert Kazlauski

Chirping
Nov 9, 2023
I know of a neighborhood that has a huge gated (4 ft) public property with many trees, bushes, grass and pond and is home to well over a hundred ducks of various breeds. I also saw a number of different breeds of geese. Beautiful and peaceful. I assume they forage for food and eat from the pond. My question is..... Can chicks and chickens live in suh an environment? Can they survive by eating the grass, bushes bugs, etc??

Can chicks and chickens live in suh an environment? Can they survive by eating the grass, bushes bugs, etc??
It completely depends on the climate, variety and quality of food stuffs available, chicken population, size of the free range area, predator protection and predator load.

Depends on breed and the environment. A month of snow and a few seramas wouldn't do well at all for instance lol

I don't feed or house my chickens and they do great. They roost in trees, brood in random places and the only feed they get is what they steel from pigs or dogs. I live in a place that gets cold and snowy but it's not snowy long.

Back
Top Bottom