can chickens live in your home premenantly

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with all the poop!? In the house!? How do you keep things sanitized?

Not judging. People love their chickens. But holy Toledo Batman!
IMG_20180215_1046407_rewind.jpg

does this answer your question? Diapers work great when you have them indoors.

I guess I don’t know how people butcher their chickens nowadays. Back on our farm the chicken always went in boiling water, and we started gutting young, as kids. By 12 I was a pro. Chickens we’d been hugging 5 minutes earlier. Nobody ever got sick. But I don’t know what people are doing nowadays. I know a lot of people also drink raw milk, another gross and dangerous practice I never heard of until much later (the “natural” movement where people lost common sense?) Salmonella is widespread in mass produced chicken but that doesn’t mean your backyard chickens will have it. Also, well cared for backyard chickens aren’t so stressed that they are one day away from exploding.
You know, back in the day we probably had stronger immune systems to start with and few flocks were using antibiotics. The milk we pasteurized in a pressure cooker, the counties all had county extension agents that would help out on things like this, pressure test the cooker valves if you brought it in.

And I hate to be the one to tell you but salmonella live inside humans, birds including chickens, and most animals. Even fruits and veggies can be contaminated with salmonella if livestock poop is used as fertilizer or the water gets contaminated. So yeah, your backyard flock has plenty of salmonella inside the bird, all over the floor and roosts, on the eggs, sometimes inside the eggs on rare occasions, so allowing a chicken to live in a house is not a good idea.

We've had birds inside for either rehabilitation after injury or geriatric care. Loved almost every minute of it. Kept them in gated den during the day with towels down on the floor and walked them to a covered dog crate in the bedroom at night. Good alarm clocks and Great conversationalists. Smarter than most of the people I deal with.

Quite a Lovely outfit!
Thank you, I made them when I had a sick chicken I needed to isolate and indoors was my only option. Ones you buy off Amazon are horrible to clean, gross! These use a folded paper towel liner inside which is super easy to access , so disposable diapers for chickens! As often as chickens poo though, it must be changed every couple hours. Just like having a baby, aww.

Has anyone considered the fact that chickens can have mites and bring them into your house? They can also carry disease like salmonella?

I think some of this thread is infected with corona paranoia. People with their pet chickens or backyard flocks are not substantial risks to cross-species disease transmission.

I've lived my entire life cuddling chickens, as did my entire family for generations. Not going to stop because someone thinks they're ready to 'burst' with diseases at any time. Some of my chickens have lived with the described disease pressure for 13+ years. Not exactly succumbing easily!

Also, where are indoor raised closed flocks getting mites and salmonella? That's an interesting idea.

If you're talking about the people who let chickens inside and outside... If a chicken has mites *you know* if you're handling them. Salmonella? Other chicken diseases that are usually symptomatic and result in death? I have considered that possibility, but then if they were infected, they probably wouldn't be happily romping in my house. Serious chicken illnesses usually result in death rather quickly.

Have you ever considered what your dog is carrying, for that matter? Or your own microbiomes? We can be paranoid, or we can trust our immune systems and live our lives. I, for one, am going to do the latter, combined with a little common sense.

If these were major problems, most of us would have some foul stories to tell about sickness and death in our families. And yet most of us don't.

Last edited:
Campylobacter, E. Coli, and Salmonella are EVERYWHERE. They only make you sick if you eat something that is heavily contaminated. Don't eat raw chicken, and wash your hands after handling your pets. Use some common sense. Indoor chickens are cleaner than your average toddler, and probably cleaner than a dog's tongue or a cat's litter box.

i was thinking of getting one chicken and i wanted to know if i could keep it as a house pet. also what would be the sssential things i would need ?
Hi! I have a strictly indoor only chicken she is my spoiled princess baby and she knows it! She lives inside among other pets too- a chihuahua, 3 cats, a pig, and a marmoset which she grew up with, we got her at only 4 days old so they all get along very well. The pig and her are like two peas in a pod! She is 28 weeks old and laying eggs daily as any outdoor hen would. We also have many outdoor chickens and roosters that are neighborhood free range ones she sees out the windows and hears but pays no attention to nor does she ever try to get outside she is very happy, spoiled, and content indoors! I can definitely say that even if you don’t have any other indoor pets she would be perfectly fine AS LONG as you would have enough time to be with her and spend enough time with her giving her love and attention and she or he won’t be home alone (caged or not) the majority of the time each day they will be just fine! I can say, in my opinion, having a chicken as a pet indoors only is such a blessing in so many ways! They are a blast! Sure they poop a lot and like I said you must have the time to be with them to care and clean up after them and if you have that it is a gift having one, at least for me it has been, I will always have a chicken as in indoor pet for the rest of my life that is how much I love mine and how rewarding it has been!💗🐥

Back
Top Bottom