Can chicks be TOO friendly?

PonytailsFlock

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
So… I have 5 d’uccles, 3 millie fleur and 2 porcelain. We hatched them 6 weeks ago. Is it possible to handle them too much? I think they are convinced I’m their mama. At dusk they all cry and want to crawl under my hands to snuggle up. Some nights I accommodate that because it’s so cute! Tonight all 5 were trying to settle in and sleep on me, obviously I can’t be with them all night long (but I would if I could! 🤣).
Is it possible they can be too attached to me? They do settle down after I walk away but my neediest one cry’s longer than the other 4

Attachments

• AA68FFB2-B654-46C0-BFA0-47DE9E12E3F8.jpeg
    AA68FFB2-B654-46C0-BFA0-47DE9E12E3F8.jpeg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 99933669-D6D0-49ED-B65E-CEE5AE813B92.jpeg
    99933669-D6D0-49ED-B65E-CEE5AE813B92.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E94C2869-64B4-4E7D-9D7B-51B3456731F7.jpeg
    E94C2869-64B4-4E7D-9D7B-51B3456731F7.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 5
If you want them to be pets (pettable), I wouldn't wean or withdraw attention from what you usually give them. Obviously you can't sleep with them all night, so just walk away when it's time to go, but don't feel like you have to deliberately withhold attention/affection to "wean" them, since you're not actually with them 24/7 like their mom would be - you're still only there as a visitor regardless. They are nearing the age when they will start to pull away naturally anyway - the moody independent teenager phase - so get your snuggles in while you still can. Before you know it, they'll be all grown and too good for you :lol:

If you want them to be pets (pettable), I wouldn't wean or withdraw attention from what you usually give them. Obviously you can't sleep with them all night, so just walk away when it's time to go, but don't feel like you have to deliberately withhold attention/affection to "wean" them, since you're not actually with them 24/7 like their mom would be - you're still only there as a visitor regardless. They are nearing the age when they will start to pull away naturally anyway - the moody independent teenager phase - so get your snuggles in while you still can. Before you know it, they'll be all grown and too good for you :lol:
Thank you, I appreciate this a lot. I should have stated in my post if I wanted them to be approachable/petable as they grow up and I DO want that. We hatched them for a homeschool science lesson and they will be with me for only the first 4 months then they are going to my friend's farm to live permanently, she has a flock of full size chickens for egg laying so these guys will be more of a possible "follow her around and be friendly with the 3 year old" kind of hens. I'm taking them to her specifically because I want to be able to visit them :)

Thank you, I appreciate this a lot. I should have stated in my post if I wanted them to be approachable/petable as they grow up and I DO want that. We hatched them for a homeschool science lesson and they will be with me for only the first 4 months then they are going to my friend's farm to live permanently, she has a flock of full size chickens for egg laying so these guys will be more of a possible "follow her around and be friendly with the 3 year old" kind of hens. I'm taking them to her specifically because I want to be able to visit them :)
Great! In that case, pet away and don't feel guilty :love

So… I have 5 d’uccles, 3 millie fleur and 2 porcelain. We hatched them 6 weeks ago. Is it possible to handle them too much? I think they are convinced I’m their mama. At dusk they all cry and want to crawl under my hands to snuggle up. Some nights I accommodate that because it’s so cute! Tonight all 5 were trying to settle in and sleep on me, obviously I can’t be with them all night long (but I would if I could! 🤣).
Is it possible they can be too attached to me? They do settle down after I walk away but my neediest one cry’s longer than the other 4
I have 2 flocks now. 17 weeks and 7 weeks.
My 17 weekers stayed inside for far too long with me because of weather and coop issues. I had several who were obsessed with me. Once they were outside though I only have one who still wants a snuggle. The group of 7 weekers are also super spoiled but I see more of them continuing to snuggle me once outside. They are super sweet compared to my first flock. I still love on all mine even now. I don't think its hurt any of their abilities and seem really well rounded and smart.

The day one of my chicks hatched it got on my lap and wanted to snuggle. Ignored the momma most of the time

Back
Top Bottom