Can chicks live outside (in brooder)?

Zimbamo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Hi,
I have three barred rock chicks, they are two weeks old and have been inside for a week. They are adorable, but they smell. So I was wondering if they could be outside in a brooder. We have a covered spot ready that is rodent proofed, but will they be warm enough with their heat lamp? Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I have three barred rock chicks, they are two weeks old and have been inside for a week. They are adorable, but they smell. So I was wondering if they could be outside in a brooder. We have a covered spot ready that is rodent proofed, but will they be warm enough with their heat lamp? Thanks in advance!

Depends on what your weather is like and whether the brooder is insulated. What do you mean by 'covered spot? No way should they be out in the open even if it is rodent proof. As long as there are no drafts in a coop and they have a heat lamp to get under they should be okay.
Can't you just change their bedding? I use old towels and they are changed at least every other day.

I had 15 maybe 3-4 week old silkies and I put them outside in a coop with a heat lamp. I was scared something was going to happen to them but nothing happened :D

Thanks for all of the suggestions :) , almost everyone here said to clean the brooder more often so I guess I'll do that
,Thanks

Oh, and the "covered spot" is a little wooden playhouse, I said " covered spot" because I didn't want anyone thinking they'd get rained on.

I had 15 chicks in a 3x4 box in my basement and it didn't really smell until toward the end of when i had it down there - and that was probably only because I was putting off cleaning it because I knew the chicks were moving outside soon. Has there been a water spill in there? How much and what kind of bedding do you have?

I do think that your chicks would be ok out in your playhouse with a heat lamp. PLENTY of people brood chicks outdoors. My ameracauna breeder broods chicks outdoors in northern wisconsin year round. As long as they have what they need, they'll be fine. If you want to try keeping them inside a little longer though, I would clean that brooder first and see what that gets you.

I had 8 chicks in a plastic tote in my house for over 3 weeks and they never smelled. I used pine shavings and when they got bigger just scooped out wet or soiled areas and replaced when needed. Maybe you are just sensitive to odors? What are using for bedding?

Thanks for all of the suggestions :) , almost everyone here said to clean the brooder more often so I guess I'll do that
,Thanks

Hi;) I have 12 in my brooder and have no smell at all. I keep it clean and change water frequently. Sometimes the waterers get funky.

Back
Top Bottom