Can Dog People Raise Chicks/Chickens Successfully?

We have a Cairn Terrier mix and a Lab/Setter mix AND chickens. The lab mix is all about birds, so we knew we needed to be very careful. We ran electric fence around the coop area and put the dreaded white flags up. That helped get her attention so we could begin training how to behave around the chickens. She's learned to sit and lay down around the chickens and wait at the fence while I care for them. The terrier likes to sneak in with the chickens and eat poop and food (GROSS!) more than trying to chase the chickens. Even so, she's a dog (and terrier to boot!), and would surely go after one of those chickens if they ticked her off.

That said, we make sure the dogs are inside whenever we let the chickens out to free range. I see the look my dogs get whenever a chicken gets excited by them and flies around. Know that one time is all it takes and it's all about making sure that "one time" never happens.

I have three dogs, a yorkie, a poodle and a german wirehair pointer (bird/hunting dog). I let my flock free range with my dogs and never worry. The dogs are introduced to the chicks in the brooder so they are used to them. It is obviously important to let them know the birds are off limits. My pointer is/has been a working dog, but he knows these birds belong to mom and he would never hurt them. In fact I have seen him in the yard snuggled up with several chickens. My poodle has found ingenius ways to get into the brooder and "mother" the new chicks
lau.gif
she doesn't seem to realize they do not like to be licked and cleaned constantly
gig.gif
You know the personalities of your dogs, so you will have to decide how to proceed. Some dogs are just not able to co-exist with chickens peacefully. I feel safe in the fact that if a stray dog comes in my dogs will protect the birds.
thumbsup.gif

Three Dobermans, 31 ducks, 22 geese, 3 turkeys, and 1 cat...they all have their own areas and trespassers will be spoken to in no uncertain terms...one just has to be the human with the big brain and control the environment for all who live there in...my dogs will eat poultry, my cat will eat baby poultry...all the poultry knows that they are a food item...so I keep them apart...good fences, cages, crates and all of that...and properly trained "babysitters" in the event that I have to leave the property for any length of time...I don't trust just any old person to know how to manage things in my absence...it is a doable thing...

thumbsup.gif

Two Pembroke Welsh Corgis here. They would have eaten the chicks given half a chance. As the chicks entered the "dino-chick" stage, I made an outdoor portable coop for them using pvc pipe and screen. That way, the chicks could be in the yard unmolested with the dogs. Gave the dogs a chance to get used to the chickens without putting anyone in danger. After a few months of this, I let the chickens out in the fenced yard and put one dog at a time on the leash and let everybody visit. After everyone was well behaved that way, I turned my most responsive dog loose in the yard with the chickens, and kept a big long stick with me. When that worked out well, turned the other dog loose, too.

It was a very long process, but it has worked out very well. I think you have to be sure that A: you won't hate the dog if it kills a bird, B: your dogs are excellent at the "leave it!" command, and C: You realize it's a risk.

I grew up with free ranging chickens and a GSD who was never fenced. Everything was always fine. Depends on your dog(s) and your dedication to teaching the dog.

Good luck!

I have a pitt bull (scared of the chicks/hens), a border collie (couldn't care less about them), and mini australian shepherd...who loves to nose them and dance? with them...lol but they all walk around and sun themselves together chicks and all...

I have three dogs, a Rottweiler, Australian Sheppard and Australian cattle dog. I trust my dogs 100% with my birds and if I had to lock everyone up at the same time in the coop for what ever reason, I would not have any concerns doing so.

Chris

I have two collies and they are with the flock all day long. I don't worry if I get home late and the coop is still open, as I know my dogs will protect the flock against any predators.

Quote:
I've had dogs and chickens together for yrs. My current dog is a dobe and literally helped raise the last 3 batches of chicks. Before her 3 st schnauzers two of which could of cared less the 3rd could not be helped he killed every chicken he got near. So it is up to your Dog whisperer to work on your togetherness.
fl.gif

I have a German Shephard who will chase the chickens even if I am around. I would never ever trust a dog around chickens. They are unpredictable and may not even want to hurt the chicken, just play which end up killing the birds anyways.

Achickenwrangler#1 :

if a mouth opens to bite(licking is ok)

I've always considered licking the first step of tasting
tongue2.gif

I just know my dogs can react faster than I can and I've been training (obedience, tracking, agility, herding) for the last forty years. I just consider it safer to keep them apart as much as possible.

Deb​

Back
Top Bottom