Can dogs and chickens EVER mix????

Etruscan1

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
I lost my beloved 8-year-old Bantam Cochin rooster on Saturday. I rescued 2 lab puppies recently. I thought that, after 6 weeks of no problems they would be safe to leave unattended with the chickens. It was a tragic mistake, and I am positively devastated. My question is, is it naive to think I could ever trust a dog with chickens, or should I find these puppies a new home?
sad.png

I'm sorry about your rooster. I had a beautiful chichuahua that used to love to be with my young chickens When the chicks got bigger they pecked at her and she wouldn't go near them after that. I personally wouldn't trust any dogs left alone with chickens. I trained Princess not to hurt the chicks, and she didn't.

I have 2 Pugs, they would never hurt a chicken i could leave them all day with them!! it just takes training, my one pug is CGC certified and the other is her baby and he learns from her, they keep the hawks away!
wink.png

Last edited:
My Charlie Girl picked up a chick when they were ten days old. She didn't hurt it. She got one of only two spankings I had ever given her that day.
After that she could be trusted completely with the chickens. She watched over them. She was very sensitive to scoldings, due to past abuse, so that was all it took.
I am not trusting our new german shepherd puppy with the chickens at all yet. He's only allowed around them when I am with him. So far, no problems at all but I'm not taking any chances.

Any suggestions on how to train a dog not to hurt the chickens? I love animals, and would normally never lay a finger on any of my pets - from chickens to cats to goats to dogs to horses. However, finding Maggie with what was left of my beloved Buster was more than I could handle. I yelled and smacked her and her partner-in-crime, Mollie very hard. I felt it was appropriate under the circumstances. Today, they are still chasing the chickens. what??? I am relatively new to dogs in a livestock environment (only had house dogs before), and so far I'm not fond of them.

If anyone has specific ideas on training, I would very much appreciate it. I have ten acres fenced so no predators can get inside our property, and have been successful for 3 years protecting my chickens while providing them the best possible natural life they can have. I don't want to revoke their privileges because of these new canine residents.

With the right dog and the right training, it can work, according to those here on BYC who have had success.
But I've read too many horror stories, and lived them myself (irresponsible neighbor's dogs) with no deaths thankfully but long ordeals of healing injuries, and spent countless hours trying to help people help their maimed birds, to ever trust it or try it myself. If I lost my beloved roo (also ~8) to a dog I shouldn't have trusted I would be needing a padded room. I can totally imagine your heartache and fervently wish I had the power to turn the clock back for you and roo.
JJ

dogs learn who their family is, just as chickens do. Have them together and watch them. remember dogs are dogs, they play hard and chicks can get hurt.

I have a rotti/shepard mix and he sleeps with my chickens, we keep him fed so he is never hungry to the point he'd eat them.
lau.gif

He would never hurt anything but that's his disposition. My cats are the same. i hold the chickens and take them to Link to sniff, then praise link for his good chicken behavior. All dogs are different, breeds don't count in the end, It's how they veiw the chickens that do! As puppies just watch out for ruff play.

I have four dogs who roam freely with the chickens. Training was minimal, really, but the dogs knew what "no" and "leave it" meant already. I watched closely for a while; now I just turn everybody loose.

Maybe I'll be sorry one day. They've been together for months without a problem, but I realize it could happen. However, these are free range hens, and the dogs also keep the fox, etc. away.

Just put your pups through a good training program. There are some good books out there. Hurting them is NOT part of a good program (not fussing at you for your reaction, at all, honest! I've done it, too. Just wanting to reassure you that training is not only possible, but best done, without causing any pain to the dog. No shock collars here, thanks.)

A couple of good dog training books have been mentioned on here. Maybe you could find the titles with a search, or maybe someone will come along on this thread that knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom