Can Dogs Have Oreos?

My poodle will be 21 years old in December....I followed all of the rules with diet, etc. until she was about 13. Then I figured she'd be gone soon so what the heck..chocolate, ice cream, cookies, whatever makes her happy, every day for the last 8 years. Except for cataracts & hearing loss, you'd never know she was a 21 year old dog!

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!
no oreos are not good for anydog. it doesnt mean well he ate a whole bag and he was okay or i give my dog a chocolate bar and he did fine.. not finding the name of it right now but it in cocoa (the what makes chocolate...well chocolate) it is POISON!!!! dogs, cats, hamstars, chickens NO CHOCOLATE!! it can kill them if not kill make them very very ill. please please please dont feed animal human food!!! they are build differant then us. dont do it!!
Theobromine is a stimulant found in the coca plant. these are what chocolate can cause An increased heart rate will probably come after the vomiting and diarrhea, when more theobromine has had a chance to be absorbed into the blood steam. Other signs to watch for are increased urination (another method the body will use to purge itself of something), muscle twitching, and excessive panting. Chocolate could kill your dog, cause seizures or put it in a coma, so be careful.

Last edited:
No, it isn't.

A far lower percentage of humans are severely allergic to peanuts, than the percentage of dogs that get sick on chocolate.

And the issue with peanuts is an allergic reaction - the issue with chocolate is that it is poisonous to some species - not an allergy - a poison.

Those two things are very different. Allergy - poison. Allergy - poison. Two different things.

Some breeds are more sensitive to chocolate than others. But for all dogs, it's a poison.

Last edited:
I have given my dogs an M&M or two before...
hide.gif

But only like one or two...

It is a really good idea not to get on a bb and tell people chocolate is like peanut butter for people - you will cause some dogs to die. Peanut hypersensitivity is relatively rare in humans. Human deaths from eating peanut butter are relatively rare.

A dog reacting badly to chocolate is NOT rare.

However, most vets will tell you that different types of chocolate have more (or less) theobromine, and that the amount of chocolate that will make a dog sick depends somewhat on the dog's weight, amount and type of chocolate, but also that there is an individual factor - some dogs are simply more sensitive than others.

Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

(KEEP IN MIND THAT THE INFORMATION BELOW DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT INDIVIDUAL SENSITIVITY - YOU MAY FOLLOW THESE RULES AND STILL KILL A DOG THAT HAPPENS TO SIMPLY BE MORE SENSITIVE TO THEOBROMINE)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Last edited:
It has been a while since I'v been on and this thread has grown! Please don't think of me crazy for asking this question and thank you for all the information
smile.png
I have never given any dogs chocolate and I know why they aren't suppose to have it. I do know of many people who have and have no issues, but I never wanted to chance it. I was just wondering because a couple websites said you could feed them oreos.

Thank You
big_smile.png

Ps: No I don't think I'm crazy
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom