Can dogs?

Spook eats all kinds of "people food". She actually doesn't get anything that isn't considered "human grade food" Spoiled yes but remember the pet food problem this summer?! We didnt have that anything to worry about.

IF your dog has problems with spagetti it could be because they have a Wheat allergy.

Only problem my late dog had with it was it made his poo green.
ep.gif
Still can't figure that one out

please be carfull feeding dog's table scraps or people food . Because sometimes the dogs stomache can twist up or bloat. Espially avoid sausage or any thing spicy feeding dog's table food also can mess ther stomaches up and the might crap everywere. saying that we feed our dogs little pieces of food almost every night as a treat. Rice and chickens is very healthy for dogs once ur dogs get acustum to eating people food its very hard to get them to eat dog food.

So does that mean it was alright that I gave away almost 1/2 of the first bag of Puppy Chow that I bought when my first dog was a puppy. Had the bloating thing but that was after he at a bunch of pancakes then decided to fill up on water. 2 years and he only ate about 25 lbs of puppy chow. He lived for 18 years so it must not have hurt him too much.

Last edited:
Quote:
From a dog trainer and a person who breeds show dogs, there's nothing wrong with giving dogs people food.

Dog food is nothing more than people food that's not approved for us to eat because the ingredients are too poor in quality. "Dog food" was only invented 70 years ago at the end of WWII as a byproduct industry when slaughtering increased.

As long as you use common sense--avoid spicy, fatty foods and only give them tidbits in moderation, away from the table--there's nothing wrong with people food. In fact, it's all my dogs eat. They don't eat "dog food."

Amy

I agree whole hearted with you. DOGS have been eating PEOPLE food for 30 thousand years or more.....

Dogs can eat rancid and uncooked meat with no ill side effects its only those "Dog Food" dogs that have tons of problems, in the past if a dog had a problem it died. We didn't keep breeding the bad genes into succesive generations, goes for people to....

Bubba

Just keep in mind though, if you feed your dog people food, and dog food, keep the portions correct to what they should be eating daily. So if your dog requires 1 1/2 - 2 cups dry kibble a day, keep the combination of dry and table scraps close to that as a total.
Just don't want overweight doggies!
My cat ate spaghetti though. Begged for it when we were kids!

i had a lab before, he was about five pounds over weight. because of being a larger breed dog. the vet warned me about his hips. so he told me to cut back on the dog food and give him some vegatables and fruit in its place. this is from a vet, so i did. he lost the weight and loved it. only problem, he wanted the "special food to keep coming"!
i was always told as a kid not feed them table food. my parents said they would not want there dog food anymore. so if a vet told me veg. and fruit are okay. then a little treat of the 'good stuff' every once in awhile should be okay!

Dogs and cats luv people food. Dont make the mistake of keeping your garden gate open. Dia that and our pup wiped us out of the snow peas.
I swear we only gave him one and the next day their were none left to pic. Boy was mom mad!!

These days our dogs- aussie and wolf hybrid have free range of the garden. they eat tomatoes, peas
cucumbers.... What my wolf hybrid looks forward to each year are the peaches and nectarines!!! He watches them both and unfortunately thinks that when they are large their ripe. My aussie pushes him away as if to say hey dimwit their not ripe yet.
After a few bouts of diarrhea he gets the message and waits for them to ripen. He pretty much eats anything, banannas, pears, broccoli, etc..

Watch out for excessive onions, though... some dogs have onion allergies that can make them VERY sick. I'd go easy giving a dog anything with a lot of cooked onions in it.

Also, it's said that chocolate can be harmful in large amounts - they can't process out some of the substances in there and they can build up to toxic levels.

Of course, there's always the story of the dog that got into the halloween candy with no ill effects whatsoever... had a friend with a honey beagle that ate an entire 2 lb bag of chocolate kisses -foil wrappers and all . Didn't cause him any problems but their yard looked like christmas when all those little foil wrappers started to come out, if you know what I mean...
tongue.png

AND, my dogs ate onions all the time with no ill effects. So, I'm sure a lot depends on the individual - just like people.

Susan

When I read the title of this thread, I thought "Can Dogs"?? I've heard of Corn Dogs, but never Can Dogs. (Can you tell I don't have a dog and don't have anything actually intelligent to put here?)

My dog eats table scraps occasionally...when my naughty DD feeds them to her when I'm not looking.
roll.png

I think it's fine, but I'd avoid spicy food..especially if your dog sleeps with you, nothing worse then dog farts.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom