Can ducks/ducklings pant?

finleyfthood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I can't tell if my duckling, Frank, is too hot or if something is wrong. He has his mouth open and is breathing really fast.. Should I turn off the heat lamp? Or just move him away? Or do they not pant? :hmm

Sounds too hot...their respiratory system is completely different, so they do not pant, but use gular flutter to lose excess heat.

Clint

Should I just move him further away from the heat lamp or turn it off for a little? I'm not sure of his age so I don't know if it would be dangerous for him if I turned it off. He still fits in one of my hands.

Yeah, he gets fresh water every two hours cause he makes a huuuge mess and plays in the water by jumping from his food to his water over and over. Lol. But I'll check his nose just in case.

Should I just move him further away from the heat lamp or turn it off for a little? I'm not sure of his age so I don't know if it would be dangerous for him if I turned it off. He still fits in one of my hands.

What is the temp....a thermometer is your friend. The response will depend upon the temp...way too high....raise the heat lamp....marginally high....turn it off for awhile.

Clint

I need to get a thermometer, I don't have one. What should the temp be?
And I will, thank you!

Yeah, he gets fresh water every two hours cause he makes a huuuge mess and plays in the water by jumping from his food to his water over and over. Lol. But I'll check his nose just in case.
They are very messy little creatures, especially when it comes to water:-D

I made a water container out of a cheap plastic container. Just cut the corner out, it helped with the mess. Ducks should have constant access to water.

Does Frank have enough room to move out from under the heat light? Ducks don't require as much heat as chicks do, so I made mine a warm side by pointing the heat light at one corner of the brooder so they had a cool side that they could move to.

Back
Top Bottom