Can five week olds sleep outside?

BornToQuack

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Hi all, according to the hatch date the feed store gave us, our ducklings should be turning five weeks old this coming Monday. Up until now, they've been spending the night in their brooder box in our master bathroom, and the coolest overnight temp they've been subjected to thus far is about 70° F (we recently turned off their heat lamp to get them used to cooler nights).

My husband is dead set on having them start spending the night outside, but I'm a little hesitant to do so right away. The outside night temps are ranging between 60° F and 66° F. Sure, they'll be in their duck house with ample straw to snuggle in, but they're also only five weeks old. The paperwork the feed store gave us says, "your ducklings can stay outside in good weather once they are six to nine weeks old."

In your opinion, are they old enough to sleep outside, or should we wait another week or two?

Thanks for any feedback or advice!

Evict them.:) It will be ok As long as they don't get left out in a cold rain or something like that. Also make sure their water dishes are shallow enough they can easily step out of. I witnessed two of my Cayuga ducklings at about 5 weeks, not fully feathered yet, get in the larger tub of water I had out for the adults, the water level was a bit low and they got really tired and couldn't get out and would've drowned if I hadn't been watching.

Back
Top Bottom