Can hens carry/pass on their past illnesses through their fertile eggs/chicks?

Marino

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Australia
Hey everyone!
I have 3 hens and 1 Roo that are all mildly coughing/sneezing etc. No sign of mucus build up. The birds all seem happy as and are acting/eating/drinking very normal. I planned on selling my hen's fertile eggs to potential customers. My question is:

Even after the birds overcome this illness, will the birds past illness be passed onto their future fertile eggs/chicks?

Thanks for your input- my birds are currently too young to lay, however, when they are ready to supply fertile eggs I want to make sure they will be okay to pass onto other chook lovers.

Kind regards ✌️

Some illnesses can be passed to the egg.

Have you taken your sick birds to the vet to be diagnosed?
Are they being treated?

Hey everyone!
I have 3 hens and 1 Roo that are all mildly coughing/sneezing etc. No sign of mucus build up. The birds all seem happy as and are acting/eating/drinking very normal. I planned on selling my hen's fertile eggs to potential customers. My question is:

Even after the birds overcome this illness, will the birds past illness be passed onto their future fertile eggs/chicks?

Thanks for your input- my birds are currently too young to lay, however, when they are ready to supply fertile eggs I want to make sure they will be okay to pass onto other chook lovers.

Kind regards ✌️

I wouldn't pass any eggs from them to anyone until I understood what was going on first. If you mess over your customers, for the sake of convenience, you will have essentially shot yourself in the foot.

I haven't brought them to the vet as yet. Although it was my first thought, I was instructed by the very knowledgable guy at the food and grain store to give a mash mix of fresh oregano leaves, Turmeric, and garlic to see if this helps. If not he said to go to the vet for a further check up.

I wouldn't pass any eggs from them to anyone until I understood what was going on first. If you mess over your customers, for the sake of convenience, you will have essentially shot yourself in the foot.
Agreed, but there's also the issue of potentially introducing a respiratory issue into someone else's flock, which is unforgivable IMO.

A lot of times feed store employees only experience with chicks/chickens is selling them to make the store money.
Just because they work their does not make them a chicken expert, so be careful about what you choose to believe from them.

I haven't brought them to the vet as yet. Although it was my first thought, I was instructed by the very knowledgable guy at the food and grain store to give a mash mix of fresh oregano leaves, Turmeric, and garlic to see if this helps. If not he said to go to the vet for a further check up.
I'd suggest the vets as soon as you can - old wives' tales won't help

Back
Top Bottom