Can I feed my chicken just whole corn.

In addition to the above, make sure you do not have vermin feasting on your feed. Rats, mice, squirrels, wild birds can all make a big dent in your feed bill.
Tell me about it... I’m convinced that I feed the rats more than the birds. I’ve thought about putting out rat poison but with me having cats and guineas (and the occasional visit from the neighbors’ dogs)... I don’t think that it’s a realistic option. :hit

I buy my feed 55 gallon barrel for 50 bucks. It’s about 350-385 pounds of 18-20% meat bird mix (no calcium) from a local feed mill.

My girls have done amazing on it. Bright red combs shiny feathers.

I've learned deer also love, love chicken pullets
I left my 5 gallon no spill bucket like aart wrote up in the yard overnight once. The dang thing was 100’ away, and deer tracks everywhere! From what it looked like, once tipped over, it was similar to the dog treat toys. Roll it around and claim your prize. Wash rinse repeat.

Needless to say, lawn doesn’t need aerated, fertilized OR seeded anymore. They tore the place up!!!!

Absolutely not. They will get sick quickly and die from that sort of diet. It’s like eating nothing but pancakes everyday and night with an occasional salad in between... if you have laying hens, their egg production would start to decline and the eggs they did lay would come out soft and shell-less. They need layer feed with calcium and protein; if you have a roo you need flock raiser with oyster shell on the side. Corn should be an occasional treat given in moderation so they don’t fill up and neglect their vitamin and mineral fortified food. I give a little bit of extra corn in the winter to help aid with keeping them warm (the digestion of the carbs generates heat).

Back
Top Bottom