Can I feed my chickens milk?

LoriNSally

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Hi there, I have 11 laying hens, and I have a bit of pasteurized milk that is past its expiration date but does not smell bad. I was wondering if it is OK to give to my girls soaked into some crackers or something? They love yogurt, and I know they need the calcium.

Yes! My girls love any kind of liquid dairy: yogurt, milk, whey. We make our own yogurt and cheese, and when we have a little leftover milk in a grandkid's glass, we save it for the hen's afternoon treat. They love it any way you want to present it to them. Yesterday, I only had a little whey left from cheese-making, so, to extend it, I mixed in a little of their organic feed (from Countryside), and they went for it same as always.

They get really excited when they see me walking up with anything that looks like milk or yogurt. It's fun to be so welcomed by chickens!

-harvey

I'm going to try it... We have milk that is "on the verge" at least every other week.... I think I will soak some older oats in it too.. and mix it in with the scraps tomorrow.... I just want to be sure it is safe for them.. I have one that is molting now and 5 that are young.. Just laying now.. we will see what happens I suppose..

Back
Top Bottom