Can I feed my chicks Black Sesame Seeds?

Tanya22

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2018
India
I have recently stopped giving my two chicks starter feed and have been trying to make a good seed mixture at home. Till now have incorporated 3 things in their homemade mix:
Pearl Millet, Corn and Sunflower Seeds. I go with the ratio of 3:2:1 respectively and their poop seems to be fine and healthy looking.

I found out that we can give sesame seeds too and I bought some black ones but I can't find info on them. The recipes online don't really say which colour of the seeds we should feed them and I don't wanna take chances. One chick of mine is already very sick.

So, I just wanna know if this will be a good addition to their diet.

Your homemade diet is fatty. I personally would put them back on the chick starter which is formulated to support their rapid growth and development. Bird seed will leave them deficient. Sesame seeds are also fatty. :confused:
the issue is that their feed is almost finished and no one is selling it here. The people I got it from have also refused due to some policies. So, I need to make a good feed for them at home.

I also feed them eggs daily and spinach, potatoes and home made sprouts. Oh and I am going to introduce lentils in their diet too.

Do let me know if there are any other seeds good for them that I can include in their feed. Something high in calcium especially. :)

You must be located somewhere out in the boonies? I don't know what goes into a good home made recipe. You can search this site. The seeds you are using are just too fat in my opinion.

An older book I have list this as a grower ration, I don't know if it's correct or not as I'm not a feed expert.

20 pounds yellow corn meal
20 pounds wheat bran
20 pounds pulverized oats
10 pounds fish meal
10 pounds alfalfa meal
2 pounds oyster shell meal
1 pound cod liver oil
1 pound salt

It is definitely a different mix than you are feeding, but it's more in line with what's in a ration.

the issue is that their feed is almost finished and no one is selling it here. The people I got it from have also refused due to some policies. So, I need to make a good feed for them at home.

I also feed them eggs daily and spinach, potatoes and home made sprouts. Oh and I am going to introduce lentils in their diet too.

Do let me know if there are any other seeds good for them that I can include in their feed. Something high in calcium especially. :)
What country are you in? If in the US, which state? Maybe we can find some good feed that you can get hold of.

What country are you in? If in the US, which state? Maybe we can find some good feed that you can get hold of.
I live in India. I spoke with the poultry farm people over here but they don't give feed due to their policies. I have been reading up on recipes and am trying to get all the ingredients to give my girls a balanced diet. I have also started giving them vegetables daily.

You must be located somewhere out in the boonies? I don't know what goes into a good home made recipe. You can search this site. The seeds you are using are just too fat in my opinion.

An older book I have list this as a grower ration, I don't know if it's correct or not as I'm not a feed expert.

20 pounds yellow corn meal
20 pounds wheat bran
20 pounds pulverized oats
10 pounds fish meal
10 pounds alfalfa meal
2 pounds oyster shell meal
1 pound cod liver oil
1 pound salt

It is definitely a different mix than you are feeding, but it's more in line with what's in a ration.

This sounds good! I will try to find these ingredients near me. ALso, I am going to grind some egg shells today to give my girls because soon they will get to the laying stage and I don't want them to be short on calcium.

Back
Top Bottom