can I feed venison liver and heart to my hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tuffy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Hubby just brought home a deer heart and liver. I've read that it is ok to feed to the hens. Does it need to be cooked or is raw ok? About how much at a time also. I have 30 hens (20 of them are pullets, just starting to lay this week!) thanks

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    You will get a lot of different opinions about the raw or cooked. We throw it out raw. No, my chickens have not turned cannibalistic either. Did it last year and again this year. My DH even throws the legs out for them to pick clean. That is my expereince.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If you don't want to feed it raw, just boil it till it looks done and chop it up and feed.

You can keep the water too to give to them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. hankus

hankus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Usually feed it to the chickens raw, but the dogs do get most of the deer leftovers.

5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Liver to the hens???? NOOOOO! Saute some finely chopped onions and parsely (and finely chopped celery optional) in olive oil, puree the raw liver and add chopped day old rolls, the parsley and onions and some salt and pepper and a couple of eggs then form into finger size pieces. Boil them for a few minutes to cook, drain and then fry them in some oil. YUMMMMM!!

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Save the boiled water to flavor oatmeal!

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My dog would get all that organ-y stuff. She loves lungs too. The non-edible bones would go to stock of some kind. I'm not even sure the chickens would get much!!!!

Now if only I could find a deer [​IMG]

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I worked at a ranch where they fed their chickens raw deer liver and heart. It kept them occupied, pecking at those things. Turned the yolks dark orange color from all the iron. Scraed my mom at first when she bought some eggs from them. She called up in a panic, asking what was wrong with the eggs.

9. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    i slice mine up small and put them in the crock pot for a day and then freeze it in small lots for my birds the liver at lease
    the heart we grind up for sausage

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:It might taste good but the liver is a whole body filter among other things. It is best to discard or to feed to animals. The Bible always says to discard the liver (caul) of clean, fit-to-eat animals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by