Can I get non broody hen to take care of babies

Canoe, would you get the chicks where you are depending on one of the Orps to take care of them and provide heat? No other options. I think that is the question.
Probably not unless I was able to supply heat. In the second case, I had a plate brooder but they chose to sleep with the hen and didn't use it.
I certainly wouldn't chance not providing heat for chicks in this weather on the outside chance they would be adopted.
I was just saying that I've had birds that weren't broody adopt chicks so it is possible.

I am picking up 7 or 8 silkie/cochin mixes today, and I don't have a broody hen. Is there anyway I can get a non broody to take care of them. I have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, a Lavender Orpington, Golden Buffs, an Austra White, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and baby Isa Browns.

Yeah, kid, I'm sorry but this is a no-go. Either don't pick them up or take them back today. They will die and you will be heartbroken. We've got 5 inches of snow on the ground already. Let those babies live back where they came from and try this adventure again in May. Noone is going broody in the snow and they need a super warm set-up for weeks. You may be thinking that in rare exceptions you could pull this off, but you're not the exception, you're the rule. We're all the rule. Don't roll the dice with babies lives.

Probably not unless I was able to supply heat. In the second case, I had a plate brooder but they chose to sleep with the hen and didn't use it.
I certainly wouldn't chance not providing heat for chicks in this weather on the outside chance they would be adopted.
I was just saying that I've had birds that weren't broody adopt chicks so it is possible.

I knew that but didn't want you to be giving the OP false hope. Sometimes people read into these what they want to hear, not what was said.

Are you sure, because I have read others saying they have, and I live in Ohio, and it is 39 degrees right now, and we are putting them outside once we get them.

don't put them outside!! They will die!! They are new babies!! Do u have a broader box and heat lamp for them!!

Back
Top Bottom