Can I get non broody hen to take care of babies

SilkieLover7

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2019
Painesville
I am picking up 7 or 8 silkie/cochin mixes today, and I don't have a broody hen. Is there anyway I can get a non broody to take care of them. I have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, a Lavender Orpington, Golden Buffs, an Austra White, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and baby Isa Browns.

Then what should I do, I have to put them outside because my mom won't let me keep them in the house, and we have a cat who will kill them without a broody protecting them.

Then what should I do, I have to put them outside because my mom won't let me keep them in the house, and we have a cat who will kill them without a broody protecting them.
A broody can't always protect their chicks, eventually one would go a bit farther from their mother and the cat would get them. Put them in a dog crate in a coop and don't let them outside until they're bigger. Or keep them in the house and explain to her the reasons.

A broody can't always protect their chicks, eventually one would go a bit farther from their mother and the cat would get them. Put them in a dog crate in a coop and don't let them outside until they're bigger. Or keep them in the house and explain to her the reasons.
I have two heaters set up inside the large coop, and I was planning on seeing if my Austra White or Speckled Sussex might take them.

hello from Ohio!

Can you call in a favor from a friend? Maybe they can help if they have room :idunno

but, the chicks will need a space with warmth (heat plate or light), and protection from critters. When we’ve needed temp shelter for a batch of meat chicks -while we still had older layer chicks in the secure brooder, we went to Walmart, bought 2 large boxes, secured them together to make a large area for the chicks, laid down puppy pee pads (another Walmart purchase) to protect the cardboard. Then on top we laid a wire shelf from a wire shelving unit -perfect bc the barn cat could not get to them (but was very interested in them....), and it worked well for about 2-3 weeks. They were meat chickens, so grew rapidly and we had 12, more than you have.

as for your mom not allowing them in the house, I have to agree...one week of chicks is all I can tolerate in the house, they are dusty! But maybe the garage will be acceptable.

good luck!

Your Austra white and your SS are not broody correct?

For real....a brooder CAN be set up in a coop if you have power to the coop.

Your adult birds are more likely to kill chicks rather than adopt them.

Pics of your coop inside will help us to see if you have room.

Oh and running heat lamps on adult birds does more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom