Can I get some shipping advice?

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
This is kind of silly but since I moved here to the " Country" last year, my sisters can't imagine me having chickens and selling eggs.

I would like to send them each a dozen of my beautiful brown eggs as a Christmas Surprise.

We don't exchange gifts.......so I just thought it would be kind of fun.

But how do I ship eggs?

Want to be sure they get there unbroken.

TIA,

Mary

It is actually pretty easy to ship eggs and several ways you can do it. Some folks wrap every egg individually with paper and bubble wrap...they do make shipping foam that has holes punched for eggs. You could even put them in an egg carton with a little extra packing...bubble wrap or newspaper...write fragile on the box with eggs and such...usually crack a few nut most will make it...just have lots of stuff to absorb shocks

There are many different methods of packing eggs for shipping.

Personally, I wrap each egg individually in bubblepack or the flat foam sheeting that is used under floating laminate floors. Then I put the wrapped eggs snugly in a small box and put that box inside a bigger box surrounded by packing peanuts or crumpled newspaper. My eggs nearly always arrive intact.

Some people just put a few handfuls of shavings inside an egg carton with the eggs, wrap the egg carton in bubblepack, and then pack the carton inside a box.

Ive received boxes where each egg was wrapped in tissue or paper towel, but sometimes they are broken.

Generally it is agreed that it is most important to keep the eggs from bumping into each other inside the packaging and to keep them away from the outside edges of the box where the impacts are.

Assume that the post office is going to kick the box all the way to its destination.
Putting the words Fragile or Eggs on the outside of the box doesnt help at all. Once the box is in the postal system, they dont read any of those warnings. They just read the zip code and throw the box into the proper bin or truck.

As for shipping, I sent the eggs Priority mail with return receipt requested or at least a confirmation number. Express is a waste of money when shipping anything other than a live adult bird and even then it usually arrives in two days anyway.

Chel

If I bubble wrap each egg individually in a carton and tape it shut.......then put it in a bigger box w/paper or peanuts..........will the shells BREATHE ok..........and the eggs still be good for eating?

Thanks,

Mary

Quote:
lau.gif

Eggchel's advice will certainly get your eggs there intact. Leave zones for the eggs to move a bit, but not hit anything. Soft packaging does this. The eggs will get jostled, so like bridges, give them some soft packaging to play. F=ma!!! Oh my, that rhymed!!!

I win the internet for today.

Back
Top Bottom