Can I have Peacocks with Chickens?

Yup, and alot more problems with cocci.
Did you know that coccidiosis is species specific? Chickens get 9 or more types, turkeys get 7 maybe?, ducks get another set, same with geese, and peafowl get their own types as well. It might be possible for some crossover, but I think it's quite rare.

The disease people really need to worry about when raising peafowl with chickens is blackhead.

-Kathy

Did you know that coccidiosis is species specific? Chickens get 9 or more types, turkeys get 7 maybe?, ducks get another set, same with geese, and peafowl get their own types as well. It might be possible for some crossover, but I think it's quite rare.

The disease people really need to worry about when raising peafowl with chickens is blackhead.

-Kathy
Each coccidia protozoa has a specific host if I remember correctly in my vet book.

Based on my personal observations and experience, chickens and peafowl can live in harmony if adequate space is provided. The adequate is where most get in trouble. Close managment and an effective med schedule is the pro to the situation. We have raised our greens (which are highly aggressive) with gamefowl for a long time now with great results. The gamefowl must be introduced at a young age for the birds to get along. Again, free range no issues. In a pen, dont forget the adequate spacing. As for diseases, all chickens are not carrying a wealth of diseases nor will they if, you know where they came from and they have been taken care of, if you have your own chickens then you should be okay. Its when you decide to introduce chickens that have been purchased elsewhere such as a trade day, flea market, or auction is when the trouble starts and can be hard to stop. My advice is that chickens are fine the only fowl I would be concerned of diseases would be water fowl. They will fester the drinking water up real quick like and create a burden. Again, just my observations but, chickens are not the enemy, its the people who raise them that I am more concerned with,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Based on my personal observations and experience, chickens and peafowl can live in harmony if adequate space is provided. The adequate is where most get in trouble. Close managment and an effective med schedule is the pro to the situation. We have raised our greens (which are highly aggressive) with gamefowl for a long time now with great results. The gamefowl must be introduced at a young age for the birds to get along. Again, free range no issues. In a pen, dont forget the adequate spacing. As for diseases, all chickens are not carrying a wealth of diseases nor will they if, you know where they came from and they have been taken care of, if you have your own chickens then you should be okay. Its when you decide to introduce chickens that have been purchased elsewhere such as a trade day, flea market, or auction is when the trouble starts and can be hard to stop. My advice is that chickens are fine the only fowl I would be concerned of diseases would be water fowl. They will fester the drinking water up real quick like and create a burden. Again, just my observations but, chickens are not the enemy, its the people who raise them that I am more concerned with,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker
Thank you for the wealth of information you have been providing on the forums. It really helps those of us who are newish to poultry keeping.
smile.png

It sounds like it will not be too dangerous to let my chickens and prospective peafowl range the same 1/2 acre? My three chickens are very clean and healthy and have their own coop and run, but I also let them forage around the property. I am converting the old barn (completely separate from the chicken coop/run) into peafowl housing, but I plan on letting peahens roam the same area as the chickens, under careful supervision. I am always able to lure my chickens back to their pen with treats, and I am hoping peas will be the same. My one concern was the dreaded blackhead I've heard so much about, but it sounds like that won't be a big danger in my situation. Yes?

Thank you for the wealth of information you have been providing on the forums. It really helps those of us who are newish to poultry keeping.  :)

It sounds like it will not be too dangerous to let my chickens and prospective peafowl range the same 1/2 acre?  My three chickens are very clean and healthy and have their own coop and run, but I also let them forage around the property.  I am converting the old barn (completely separate from the chicken coop/run) into peafowl housing, but I plan on letting peahens roam the same area as the chickens, under careful supervision. I am always able to lure my chickens back to their pen with treats, and I am  hoping peas will be the same.  My one concern was the dreaded blackhead I've heard so much about, but it sounds like that won't be a big danger in my situation. Yes?

Thank you for the compliment we try to maintain a good standard. 1/2 acre free range is not an issue with peafowl and chickens. As for luring them in the pen with treats, the peas will probably beat the chickens to it so that will not be an issue. Do not be overly concerned with blackhead unless you are frequently buying from different breeders and such and I would advise that you keep the proper meds in case an outbreak happens. Blackhead is actually rare and doesnt turn up at private homes unless, it is introduced usually by bringing infected birds into the flock. We are more concerned with cocci in our young flock and parasites such as worms and only worry about blackhead when or if it happens and then we go on defense. Buying from good reputation breeders is a good offense and defense concerning blackhead. Dont stress, your birds will be fine because you care enough about them to ask whats right and wrong.

Gerald Barker

From 2008 to 2010 we lived 10 miles north of here and I had no issues with blackhead there. We moved to ths place that had never had poultry here, and I mean never. Only new birds I introduced were chicks and poults hatched in an incubator and raised on wire or pavement, then all of a sudden blackhead reared it's ugly head.

Blackhead is not rare in backyard flcks... Several people on BYC have lost poults and peachicks to it, as have several people here in Santa Clara County, San Benito County and Monterey County.

It's rare in commercial flocks, that is true, but not rare in backyard flocks.

-Kathy

From 2008 to 2010 we lived 10 miles north of here and I had no issues with blackhead there. We moved to ths place that had never had poultry here, and I mean never. Only new birds I introduced were chicks and poults hatched in an incubator and raised on wire or pavement, then all of a sudden blackhead reared it's ugly head.

Blackhead is not rare in backyard flcks... Several people on BYC have lost poults and peachicks to it, as have several people here in Santa Clara County, San Benito County and Monterey County.

-Kathy

I believe one thing to note, is that many people associate Blackhead as a chicken to turkey/peafowl transmitted problem, but they miss the bigger picture in that it can be transmitted by other vectors as well, including being carried by wild game birds or hitching a ride on a bug, worm or other critter (including humans) that passes through an infected area and then for whatever reason pass through your area...

-Kathy

-Kathy

Kathy,
I cant argue with you or your experiences, Im just giving the best advice I can from my personal observations.

Gerald Barker

Thank you for the compliment we try to maintain a good standard. 1/2 acre free range is not an issue with peafowl and chickens. As for luring them in the pen with treats, the peas will probably beat the chickens to it so that will not be an issue. Do not be overly concerned with blackhead unless you are frequently buying from different breeders and such and I would advise that you keep the proper meds in case an outbreak happens. Blackhead is actually rare and doesnt turn up at private homes unless, it is introduced usually by bringing infected birds into the flock. We are more concerned with cocci in our young flock and parasites such as worms and only worry about blackhead when or if it happens and then we go on defense. Buying from good reputation breeders is a good offense and defense concerning blackhead. Dont stress, your birds will be fine because you care enough about them to ask whats right and wrong.

Gerald Barker
There is indeed a very high standard of information and assistance here.
smile.png
I am truly appreciative of the kind words and reassurance. I will continue to be very careful with any additions to my little flock, and I will will take your advice and keep appropriate meds on hand in case we have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom